Need help fast - duck attacked

She's still showing some neurological-type symptoms like twitching and spinning in circles. Am I not feeding her enough? I'm tube feeding 2x daily (AM and evening.) I'm not giving any meds, just electrolytes in her water.

She's still showing some neurological-type symptoms like twitching and spinning in circles. Am I not feeding her enough? I'm tube feeding 2x daily (AM and evening.) I'm not giving any meds, just electrolytes in her water.
I would think that would be from her injuries. So sorry she is having problems. Maybe they will resolve themselves. I surely hope that they do.

If she'll drink some soupy feed that would be good and add some poultry cell to it for some added help. One thing is when they are injured or sick they lose their appetite and the nutrients they need so much to help them recover so if she doesn't begin to eat the next day or 2 I'd seriously think about tube feeding her. It isn't that hard and can really help them gain back strength and health. It might take you a day or more to gather the things you will need to do this. I had to order online since there isn't any place around here that sells much of anything. But I had to learn the hard way it's better to have everything already than wait until you need it I lost a Runner becasue of it. Then when I had another that needed tube fed I was prepared.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
I need help. I'm tube feeding 2x daily but she's having neurological symptoms like twitching and spinning in circles. She seems very stressed and tube feeding is not sustainable long-term. How long did you do this for? I am unsure at what point I should humanely euthanize her since I don't want her to slowly starve to death. She won't eat, only drink. And if it's soupy food like watermelon puree, raw egg, bits of mash in water- she'll take a sip or two and then reject it.

Sounds like her brain was injured in the attack how deep is the wounds on her head?
With my Runner it was 6 days before she would eat on her own.
Today is day 6. The head wound is healing nicely and her neck control is improved to the point she can dip her head down to a bowl without assistance.

But she isn't eating on her own and she is having neurological symptoms.

How is she this evening?
Today is day 6. The head wound is healing nicely and her neck control is improved to the point she can dip her head down to a bowl without assistance.
This sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom