Rooster recovering from dog attack has stopped eating/drinking

Dom Mom

Chirping
Apr 27, 2023
Georgia
Hi Everyone,

Sad to report that my rooster was attacked by my bad neighbor's dogs. His tail feathers were ripped out and he had several severe wounds including puncture wounds to his behind and wounds to his head and beak area.
I cleaned him up, sprayed the wounds with Vetericyn (except the head wounds, which I treated with neosporin) and have kept him inside in a dog crate in a spare bedroom. He was eating and drinking, though not a lot.

About the second or third day, I noticed an odor and found another deep wound on his back that I had missed and it had become infected. Some of the other wounds appeared to be infected, too, so after a week and a half, I started him on 250mg of amoxicillin twice a day for seven days.
The day after I ended the antibiotics, he seemed to be much better. Wounds are healing, no odor and some of the scabs have come off on their own, or perhaps with his help when I wasn't looking.

The following day, he stopped eating and drinking and two days later, he still won't eat and only drinks when I force him. His wounds look better but he seems lethargic and goes to sleep if I leave him alone for any length of time. His comb and wattles are red but sometimes his face turns pale.

He's been inside in the dog crate at night but free to roam the room during the day for the past two and a half weeks. It's been cold (30's to 50's) but, I did take him outside twice on afternoons when the temperature was warmer.

I'm at a loss as to what to do now. Would he stop eating/drinking because he's been separated and inside for so long? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. He's the only surviving bird from my original flock and my favorite.

You may need to tube feed him for a couple of days to jump start him, but it's odd that he was doing so well for this long and has suddenly declined.
He was improving while on the Amoxicillin, but declined sharply after you stopped them correct?

I'd be inclined to think he's still got infection, but that's just a guess.
@azygous @Eggcessive thoughts?

Photos of him, his poop and his wounds may be helpful.

Thank you both for your valuable input. I've been outside with him for a while. He's definitely going downhill. What should I do? Restart the antibiotics?

restarting antibiotics may be better than not doing anything.. I am concerned hes not feeding or drinking. Good luck. This is sad.

Thank you. I just gave him an epsom salt soak and blew him dry. The color came back to his face but he still didn't want to drink or eat anything.
I hate to restart the antibiotics but, if he hasn't shown any improvement by morning, I will.

Wounds often get infected with staph, a very antibiotic resistant bacteria. I would start him back on the amoxy, especially if he's only had five or less days of it. If you have any other antibiotics on hand, if you tell us what you have, one may be suitable to team up with amoxicillin to enhance the anti-bacterial effect.

How is his wound looking? If it's at all red, inflamed and swollen, topical anti-bacterial wound ointment will also be called for.

Appreciate your advice so much. He's been cleaned and treated with Vetericyn as well as neosporin twice a day since the attack but, I missed one of the wounds on his back until a couple of days later.
When I still smelled an odor from the wound on his back after a week, I started the amoxicillin and gave him 250 mg twice a day for 7 days and continued with the Vetericyn and Neosporin on his head/beak wounds.
I don't have any other antibiotics on hand and would have started the amoxicillin sooner but, had trouble with a shipping delay due to the holidays.
None of his wounds look inflamed and they have no odor. That's why I'm waiting to restart the ABs. I hate to use them but, I realize there comes a time when it's necessary. He's shown a little improvement since the Epsom salt soak. Should I wait until morning or restart the AB's asap?

Appreciate your advice so much. He's been cleaned and treated with Vetericyn as well as neosporin twice a day since the attack but, I missed one of the wounds on his back until a couple of days later.
When I still smelled an odor from the wound on his back after a week, I started the amoxicillin and gave him 250 mg twice a day for 7 days and continued with the Vetericyn and Neosporin on his head/beak wounds.
I don't have any other antibiotics on hand and would have started the amoxicillin sooner but, had trouble with a shipping delay due to the holidays.
None of his wounds look inflamed and they have no odor. That's why I'm waiting to restart the ABs. I hate to use them but, I realize there comes a time when it's necessary. He's shown a little improvement since the Epsom salt soak. Should I wait until morning or restart the AB's asap?
Asap, for a fighting chance.

So sorry! I'd restart the drug you have, and consider talking with your veterinarian about adding a different antibiotic. Maybe Baytril? Neither drug is approved for poultry in the USA, but this bird won't ever produce an egg, and you won't be eating him (don't!) so consider this option because he needs help now.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom