Rooster recovering from dog attack has stopped eating/drinking

Sonny made it through the night and I restarted his ab's. I've been sitting with him in my lap and feeding him water with acv with an eye dropper.
He has a smorgasbord of food to choose from including hard boiled eggs with yogurt (which he usually loves), organic scratch, meal worms, sunflower seeds, grapes and he wouldn't eat any of it until I gave him a carton of stinky wet cat food. It took a minute but he perked up a little and started pecking at it.
Appreciate all the help and am grateful for any more advice anyone would like to share.

Please give update on your rooster...has there been any consequences with regards to the dog that attacked? Is there a way you can keep this dog away? This is so hard to think about and I hope your rooster will somehow make it through. Has he started to drink or eat? Pls give update when you can.

Sonny made it through the night and I restarted his ab's. I've been sitting with him in my lap and feeding him water with acv with an eye dropper.
He has a smorgasbord of food to choose from including hard boiled eggs with yogurt (which he usually loves), organic scratch, meal worms, sunflower seeds, grapes and he wouldn't eat any of it until I gave him a carton of stinky wet cat food. It took a minute but he perked up a little and started pecking at it.
Appreciate all the help and am grateful for any more advice anyone would like to share.
Yay for stinky wet cat food:)

Hopefully he will pull through and the additional days of antibiotics will help.
I do agree, I think I might try to get some Baytril and treat him with that. Your vet may be able to get it to you faster, but you can order it online to have just in case.

You can order it here:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Yay for stinky wet cat food:)

Hopefully he will pull through and the additional days of antibiotics will help.
I do agree, I think I might try to get some Baytril and treat him with that. Your vet may be able to get it to you faster, but you can order it online to have just in case.

You can order it here:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
Just seeing this post. Curious when you might use penicillin as opposed to bayril?

Just seeing this post. Curious when you might use penicillin as opposed to bayril?
Cleaning and flushing a wound out very can be helpful in preventing infection, but sometimes an antibiotic is needed when there's been an attack.

IF I were going to use Penicillin G, then I'd go ahead and treat right away to help prevent infection.
Read the first post again.
There was a hidden wound that had not been cleaned/tended to and became infected. Antibiotics were started a 1 1/2 weeks after the attack, so infection had set in. While this was helpful, the infection seemed to be severe, so another round of antibiotics or a different one was suggested to see if it would knock out the infection.

Baytril is a very good antibiotic, but it's not approved for use in poultry. Often it is used off label to treat severe infections, but for wounds, usually Amoxicillin or even Penicillin G can be used. Penicillin G is not used quite as much since it's given by injection.

Back
Top Bottom