New Rooster got a hammering of another rooster and now open mouth breathing and sounds raspy.

CrankillCalls

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2024
:hmm Hello, I'm new here and have been looking for some help with my new lavender Orpington rooster.

He has took a hammering off another rooster and I immediately separated them. I brought him inside and gave him glucose water and cleaned his wounds.

My problem is he's raspy when he is breathing and keeping his mouth open. When he is resting he seems to settle a bit. Popping bright green but doesn't seem to be eating a lot. Tried his normal food, layers pellets, mealworm bits of fruit but he doesn't seem interested.

Anyone any ideas what I can do to help?

Hello and welcome to the BYC community! :frow

How old is he and how many other males do you have in your flock? How many hens? How many coops? How much space in the coop and run?
Do they free range?

To avoid transferring diseases when purchasing new birds for your flock it best to keep new birds in quarantine for about 4 weeks while treating them for internal and external parasites during this time.

This ship seems to have sailed, so keep the battered male separate in a warm and calm area and treat him for shock using electrolytes. You can add some sugar and a pinch of salt to his drinking water and offer some scrambled eggs with millet and fine rolled oats to help him regain strength.

Can you share some pictures of his wounds?

Hello and welcome to the BYC community! :frow

How old is he and how many other males do you have in your flock? How many hens? How many coops? How much space in the coop and run?
Do they free range?

To avoid transferring diseases when purchasing new birds for your flock it best to keep new birds in quarantine for about 4 weeks while treating them for internal and external parasites during this time.

This ship seems to have sailed, so keep the battered male separate in a warm and calm area and treat him for shock using electrolytes. You can add some sugar and a pinch of salt to his drinking water and offer some scrambled eggs with millet and fine rolled oats to help him regain strength.
I have 20 hens and there was 2 roosters at the time plus him but the one has since been moved. I knew where he was coming from and was in good health until now 😢. They have about half an acre to roam in but shut in at night. I'll give the eggs a go here now thank you.

I have 20 hens and there was 2 roosters at the time plus him but the one has since been moved. I knew where he was coming from and was in good health until now 😢. They have about half an acre to roam in but shut in at night. I'll give the eggs a go here now thank you.
Adding an adult rooster to a flock with existing two adult males will usually result in a blood bath as they will fight the newcomer to defend their territory and hens.

Is there a special reason for bringing in an adult?

Existing roosters will tolerate male chicks raised in their flock much better, so if one of your hens goes broody you can purchase hatching eggs of the desired breed and let her raise them with your flock.

Hello, I'm new here and have been looking for some help with my new lavender Orpington rooster.

He has took a hammering off another rooster and I immediately separated them.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Open mouth breathing and wheezing is normal after a good fight..

What did you think was going to happen, when introducing another rooster? Or any other bird to an established flock?

Give him a chance to calm down.. before forcing any feed or water. He may not be in shock but just still processing what happened. How long has it been?

Back
Top Bottom