Open mouth breathing and sneezing

Farmgal6

Hatching
Feb 12, 2024
I have a year old rooster that has been breathing with his mouth open for the last couple days. He seems lethargic (hardly moving), extending neck, slow blinking, his comb darker than usual, he had began sneezing and sounds wheezy. I see nothing stuck in his mouth/crop, have tried flipping him upside down, gently massaging his neck, offered warm water & electrolytes. He has drank and eaten very little. Went ahead and separated/quarantined him from the flock. This morning I am noticing that some of the hens are sneezing.
Does this sound like something respiratory? No vets (within many hours drive) in my area will see poultry.

Any suggestions on what I can do to help?

You did the right thing separating him. A few sneezes can be nothing but he does sound like he has Respiratory Infection. I had a young pullet and cockerel that arrived with Respiratory Infection (in my avatar,) I gave them VetRX and a dropper of warm Rosemary and Oregano oil. I kept them separate from my flock in a warm, well-ventilated hospital. He may need tetracycline antibiotics. I sure hope he gets well !!! 🧡

You did the right thing separating him. A few sneezes can be nothing but he does sound like he has Respiratory Infection. I had a young pullet and cockerel that arrived with Respiratory Infection (in my avatar,) I gave them VetRX and a dropper of warm Rosemary and Oregano oil. I kept them separate from my flock in a warm, well-ventilated hospital. He may need tetracycline antibiotics. I sure hope he gets well !!! 🧡
Hi! I just posted a thread of my own about a young rule that I have with similar symptoms, except that he is not sneezing. I do have some VRX but I haven’t added it to the mixture. I am giving him. Right now I am giving him egg yolk Hydro hand water and honey should I add the vet RX? He has no signs of injury, no drainage from his eyes or nostrils, his vent appears fine. He was slightly antisocial yesterday when I came to give everyone treats, but I assumed he was just in a mood. But now he is very lethargic with eyes closed most of the time and mouth reading. He is now being a little more receptive to the syringe, though. But still not interested in food or water on his own.

Hi! I just posted a thread of my own about a young rule that I have with similar symptoms, except that he is not sneezing. I do have some VRX but I haven’t added it to the mixture. I am giving him. Right now I am giving him egg yolk Hydro hand water and honey should I add the vet RX? He has no signs of injury, no drainage from his eyes or nostrils, his vent appears fine. He was slightly antisocial yesterday when I came to give everyone treats, but I assumed he was just in a mood. But now he is very lethargic with eyes closed most of the time and mouth reading. He is now being a little more receptive to the syringe, though. But still not interested in food or water on his own.
You have replies, requests, questions and posts on your thread - did you see them? Hopefully you can answer those and get more suggestions:)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help.1618045/#post-27642714

Back
Top Bottom