Beak deteriorating fast???

Camry08

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
I don’t know what my pheasant caught from my chicken but he’s not doing well last week his forehead got a bump then burst into a lesion. It’s been healing but his beak is turning black and looks like it’s thin and chipping away. Yesterday his beak itself formed a yellow bump then today it burst now his beak has an open wound? The flesh is grey and wet underneath. I don’t want his whole beak to fall off on me can I save him? He’s not breathing well either he always has his mouth open trying to breath and he sneezes and wheezes quite a bit too. Do I try to get him to the vet can anything help him? I had two chickens with Mereks in the past one had to be put down due to the paralysis reaching her lungs but the other is alive and a bit lame but alive and not actively sick. How do I get my pheasant out of this period of active sickness??

Attachments

• 016B5147-981C-4019-8247-ACB2BED28F5B.jpeg
    016B5147-981C-4019-8247-ACB2BED28F5B.jpeg
    624.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 485AF2E8-D5DB-4682-95F1-50D715066E7A.jpeg
    485AF2E8-D5DB-4682-95F1-50D715066E7A.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 333C5D73-09CE-4955-ACD0-F4C2B0F87A51.jpeg
    333C5D73-09CE-4955-ACD0-F4C2B0F87A51.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 8
Have you also posted a thread on the pheasant thread? Could the pheasant have injured the forehead and rubbed the beak in some wire fencing or chickenwire? Is that yellow pus or secretions on the beak or nostril? What is your general location? I am more familiar with chickens. To post on the pheasant thread click on the green box here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/pheasants-and-partridge-chukar.50/

Have you also posted a thread on the pheasant thread? Could the pheasant have injured the forehead and rubbed the beak in some wire fencing or chickenwire? Is that yellow pus or secretions on the beak or nostril? What is your general location? I am more familiar with chickens. To post on the pheasant thread click on the green box here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/pheasants-and-partridge-chukar.50/
He lives inside my house with me so no wire fencing to get hurt on. The wound on his head started as a bump I saw growing under his feathers until the feathers fell out and the bump burst open.

Rather than yellow secretions on the beak, parts of his beak are just turning yellow and black. The parts that turned yellow formed bumps and broke open.

I also live in Maine but my pheasant hasn’t been outside in over 2 years whatever this is he got for my chicken.

I’ll try making a post to the pheasant forum for him. My biggest worry currently is his breathing. He’s always panting and sneezing.

Back
Top Bottom