All advice for raising ducklings please

Pics
That explains the early shadowing then! congrats :)
No those hatched from different eggs than the early shadowing eggs. Fri night I went to candle, cool and mist my duck eggs and found 3 pipped. Quickly went into lockdown and these 3 hatched Sat on day 21. Lol.

The early shadowing was last night on 2 other eggs on day 22 so was worried about some delayed chicken eggs still hiding in the duck eggs. Lol

No those hatched from different eggs than the early shadowing eggs. Fri night I went to candle, cool and mist my duck eggs and found 3 pipped. Quickly went into lockdown and these 3 hatched Sat on day 21. Lol.

The early shadowing was last night on 2 other eggs on day 22 so was worried about some delayed chicken eggs still hiding in the duck eggs. Lol
oh my bad, I mixed things up haha

I look forward to seeing the rest of the babies when they come out.

The closer hatch day gets for the ducklings the more nervous I am getting. Some of the eggs are a little dirty so what if they bruise the egg and I don't see it??? I hate losing a baby so close to hatch. Last hatch I had 2 that had fully absorbed everything but never externally pipped. Don't know why as they looked perfect. So would hate to think a duckling made a bruise and I didn't notice it to help it........ I feel like my fist time hatching all over again. Lol

But in other non freakout news. I took the turner back out. Not much change on the 2 that were drawing down besides a bit more draw down. Another couple have started and seeing slight shadowing so would rather be safe. I felt bad the poor chicks were spinning round and round up to and even after pip. Even though they hatched no problem. Lol. Kept humidity down normal for now and still misting and cooling them.

:hugsYou'll do your best, that is all you can!

But I totally get the nervousness! I was so worried I might miss a bruise that I put my alarm clock, got up every other hour all night for 3 days... and still failed to spot one because one egg bruised a second time in a different place :p And I may have posted photos of every little discoloration because I wasn't sure how a bruise was supposed to look at first haha.

But the actual bruises were quite big on mine so if you know what you're looking for they should be hard to miss even on somewhat dirty eggs.

:hugsYou'll do your best, that is all you can!

But I totally get the nervousness! I was so worried I might miss a bruise that I put my alarm clock, got up every other hour all night for 3 days... and still failed to spot one because one egg bruised a second time in a different place :p And I may have posted photos of every little discoloration because I wasn't sure how a bruise was supposed to look at first haha.

But the actual bruises were quite big on mine so if you know what you're looking for they should be hard to miss even on somewhat dirty eggs.
Thanks. That helps!!! Off to research more on bruises so I know what to look for. Lol

How do I make a safety hole? Are their shells as hard as chicken eggs to do the safety hole? I have done a couple in chickens but they always seem to crack around the hole a bit no matter how I do it. But looking I see everyone has these perfect tiny holes in their duck eggs.

How do I make a safety hole? Are their shells as hard as chicken eggs to do the safety hole? I have done a couple in chickens but they always seem to crack around the hole a bit no matter how I do it. But looking I see everyone has these perfect tiny holes in their duck eggs.
I personally use a somewhat large needle (dipped in alcohol and wiped dry first) and the back of a butter knife to gently tap into the shell. Others use a screw. I get perfect little puncture holes with this.

Oh, and duck egg shells are MUCH harder than chicken eggs!

I personally use a somewhat large needle (dipped in alcohol and wiped dry first) and the back of a butter knife to gently tap into the shell. Others use a screw. I get perfect little puncture holes with this.

Oh, and duck egg shells are MUCH harder than chicken eggs!
Thanks. Ok. Hopefully if need be I can do it without it cracking around the hole. I normally do a screw but will try your way.

Back
Top Bottom