All advice for raising ducklings please

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
So I am thinking about hatching some ducklings and raising them for about a week or so and then I have other homes for them

I have raised many chicks but not ducklings. Need help on brooder set up, what to use for their water and food, if I get duckling food do they need extra niacin etc. anything that you can think of that I may need to know please tell me.

I brood my chicks in a 45 or 55 gal tote with a MHP and puppy pads on the floor to start. Will that work for ducklings??

Also anything special for incubating them? Temp? humidity? Should I mist them???? I know they take 28 days to hatch normally. I think I am doing mixed breeds.

Finally gave in to all the cute duckling pics, huh? :)

Check out the grow-along threads that are up right now, they have all sorts of good info. Puppy pads are definitely good, ducklings are MESSY! They'll also need some sort of dish they can dunk their heads in to clear out their nares. Get duckling-specific food, and you can add some nutritional yeast on top to boost niacin.

Temps in the incubator are the same as for chicks, but you'll want to mist the eggs daily starting in the second week.

Here's a really good webpage with all the info you need!

https://saltinmycoffee.com/incubation-method-for-ducklings/

Finally gave in to all the cute duckling pics, huh? :)

Check out the grow-along threads that are up right now, they have all sorts of good info. Puppy pads are definitely good, ducklings are MESSY! They'll also need some sort of dish they can dunk their heads in to clear out their nares. Get duckling-specific food, and you can add some nutritional yeast on top to boost niacin.

Temps in the incubator are the same as for chicks, but you'll want to mist the eggs daily starting in the second week.

Here's a really good webpage with all the info you need!

https://saltinmycoffee.com/incubation-method-for-ducklings/
LOL took 3 years but yes finally just had to do it!!!!!!!!! Plus my daughter has been saying for 3 years she wants ducklings. I do not want ducks, but we told her she would have to pay for their enclosure and take care of them etc. she looked into it and decided it wasn't for her. haahaaa so figured if I hatch some and give them to other homes she will get her ducklings for a bit. Asked on FB before I even tried and have at least 8 people that said they would take any I hatch or at least some. so figured why not. :)

Thanks. I am so nervous after reading the hatching issues a few have had, but I do know unlike chicks they can take 48 hrs to hatch (which is going to freak me out!!) so don't help too early!

now time to read up while I am waiting for my chicks to hatch to free up the incubator. LOL

Last edited:
Raising ducklings is so rewarding
Ducklings need water deep enough to dunk their heads in to clear the eyes and nares
I take small butter containers and cut holes in the lids
Big enough they can get the head in and out but they can’t jump in to swim
I use starter feed and add 1 tbs nutritional yeast to 1 cup feed. This sure helps with the legs
At day 3 I start bathing
5-10 mins of warm water. Only deep enough they can still stand up but enough they can swim as well
They will underwater dive and have a blast. I then pat dry them with paper towel ( it absorbs lots of the water ). Set them back under the heat source and they will start to preen and use the oil gland
Never leave them unattended in the tub at that age

Raising ducklings is so rewarding
Ducklings need water deep enough to dunk their heads in to clear the eyes and nares
I take small butter containers and cut holes in the lids
Big enough they can get the head in and out but they can’t jump in to swim
I use starter feed and add 1 tbs nutritional yeast to 1 cup feed. This sure helps with the legs
At day 3 I start bathing
5-10 mins of warm water. Only deep enough they can still stand up but enough they can swim as well
They will underwater dive and have a blast. I then pat dry them with paper towel ( it absorbs lots of the water ). Set them back under the heat source and they will start to preen and use the oil gland
Never leave them unattended in the tub at that age
how tall should the water container/holes be that they can reach it? I don't want to make it too low but also don't want it too high that they can't reach down in it. :)

LOL took 3 years but yes finally just had to do it!!!!!!!!! Plus my daughter has been saying for 3 years she wants ducklings. I do not want ducks, but we told her she would have to pay for their enclosure and take care of them etc. she looked into it and decided it wasn't for her. haahaaa so figured if I hatch some and give them to other homes she will get her ducklings for a bit. Asked on FB before I even tried and have at least 8 people that said they would take any I hatch or at least some. so figured why not. :)

Thanks. I am so nervous after reading the hatching issues a few have had, but I do know unlike chicks they can take 48 hrs to hatch (which is going to freak me out!!) so don't help too early!

now time to read up while I am waiting for my chicks to hatch to free up the incubator. LOL
Careful, you may fall in love with the little peeping puffs!

Careful, you may fall in love with the little peeping puffs!
Lol. I know I will fall in love with the babies. But will just keep telling myself they are messy and don't have the time for them. Lol. I know my daughter won't help take care of them and she is talking about moving out at the end of the year so it will all be on me.

Lol. I know I will fall in love with the babies. But will just keep telling myself they are messy and don't have the time for them. Lol. I know my daughter won't help take care of them and she is talking about moving out at the end of the year so it will all be on me.
Ah yes, same as me now having to take care of ALL the animals here. My grandson (who is 10) won a pair of Aylesbury ducks at an auction yesterday. I have absolutely no doubts that I'm the one who's going to end up in charge of them.

Back
Top Bottom