Rooster with labored breathing, possible respiratory infection?

lisakathleen

Chirping
Jan 17, 2021
My Alpha rooster, Marco Pollo(Pollo for short), was injured about two weeks ago after going underneath a building and his comb was torn by a protruding screw. Immediately after being injured the younger rooster began attacking him. We treated his injury and he spent the next week in the chicken tractor to heal and continue treating his wound. The wound healed nicely but the younger rooster kept trying to attack him through the fencing of the chicken tractor so we culled the younger rooster on Sunday. Today when I let them out of the coop, I noticed Pollo was making noises he’s never made before. After further inspection he was weezing on inhales and making a purring type sound on exhales. I’ve separated him from the flock and have been doing research on treatment/causes etc. There is no poultry vet within 2 hours and even if there was I can’t afford a huge vet bill. Is there anything I can do without a vet or is it best to end his suffering? I’ve had this rooster for 4 years, he’s from my original bunch of chicks I got when I started with chickens and he is an amazing rooster. I don’t want him to suffer but I want to whatever I’m capable of to try and save him.

No nasal discharge, eyes aren’t cloudy, comb, wattle and earlobes are normal looking. I’ve been trying to upload a video but this is a screenshot from the video. I will try the YouTube upload now. Thank you so much for your fast response. The purple on him is from the wound treatment.

This is the screenshot, my WiFi is giving me problems

Attachments

• IMG_3608.jpeg
    IMG_3608.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
I’m sorry I don’t know how to work YouTube but I uploaded it and my handle is @lisakrizinsky5217 and it’s available there.

This is the screenshot, my WiFi is giving me problems
His sinus's are swollen. I recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic, oxytetracycline or Baytril. I don't know how fast you can get it. I was able to get oxytetracyline from my vet, but bought Baytril from: https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/chicken-antibiotic-medications. You can get oxytetracyline from them also. If you want to test, I recommend https://www.vetdna.com/. You only need a swab for bacterial respiratory issues.

See if the link uploads nicely from here....
Doesn't sound like a respiratory infection? But I would definitely say there's something off with him. If you can get an antibiotic that should help.

Ok, awesome. I will order the Baytril right now. Thats not too expensive compared to a vet bill. Any idea what could cause swollen sinuses? Again, thank you so much for your quick responses

Back
Top Bottom