Muscovy Duck and her tiny eggs

Crafty-Duck

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Lucky Duck Pond
I have a Muscovy duck that is about 31/2 years old and about 2 years ago she started laying tiny eggs way smaller then chicken eggs is this normal? She was laying good eggs up until then. So I would like to know if something is wrong with her, she seems fine
hu.gif

Oh she's so cute :love

I'm sorry.. Not really sure what could be causing her to lay small eggs. If she seems healthy otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

My muscovy hen just started laying a week ago today, and the eggs are double the size of a chicken egg. :/

Thanks
lol.png
I don't care about the eggs I just want her to be healthy.I give her oyster shells every once in a while for the calcium but still tiny eggs I don't get it.

It could be her age, I know at age 3 chickens are pretty much passed their egg laying prime, I have 3 Muscovy girls that are going to be 8 this July and only 1 is still laying, and I have found a tiny egg in their nest before but only once. I would keep oyster shell out for her all the time though. I use deep litter so there could have been more tiny eggs and when turning over their litter I missed it. She looks very healthy, but you have to be the judge of that, Eating good drinking good. acting like a normal Muscovy would. LOL
AND
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
As far as I can tell she is very healthy!!!! the pics were taken a couple of days ago.It's like she goes through her egg laying cycle laying a small egg almost everyday then after she stops she goes broody and wants to lay on them we don't let her of course.Last month we gave her a chicken egg to sit on and she hatched it out and wasn't really happy to see what was under her
jumpy.gif
long story short we had to take it before she killed it
th.gif
Oh well as long as shes healthy I don't need any duck eggs.

*********UPDATE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE**********

She was laying tiny eggs because of her age! Now she has completely stopped laying all together.

She hasn't layed for 5 months now and before that she wasn't laying very much at all except the tiny eggs.Before she would lay all year round!!!!!!!! she was an egg laying machine.

Back
Top Bottom