muscovy duck breeding question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fire pirate, Feb 20, 2013.

1. fire pirate

fire pirate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    enumclaw Washington
    So... I was wondering i have one muscovy male and female. If i got a pekin duck would the male breed with a pekin hen? Or would a male pekin breed with the female muscovy?

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    They have been known to breed, but I hear the resulting offspring are infertile

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yes, cross breeding will happen.
    Any other breed ducks crossed with muscovy create "mule ducks" which are sterile. So if you cross them and get females, they will lay eggs but you won't be able to hatch eggs from her. And any male offspring will breed with other ducks, but they won't fertilize them.

I have heard that (I think they are called mullards) pekin hens crossed with muscovy drakes create a large, fast growing duck that is EXCELLENT for meat. I have not tried them as a cross as I like to keep mine pure, but if you want ducks for meat that may be one to try!

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    This is true.

I'm thinking of adding some Pekin (or other large breed ducks) to my flock. When you cross a Muscovy drake with a large breed duck, like a Pekin, the offsping don't exhibit the gender size difference that Muscovy do and they grow a little faster. The only down side is Pekin aren't typically broody (I don't incubate) so maybe another large breed.....

5. Hayden W

Hayden W Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    Foreston, MN
    I have a Muscovy drake and a Swedish duck and the have mated but I'm not incubating right now and the duck is still really young but laying. I plan to let her go broody in the spring when it's warmer out. Will the offspring be a good egg duck or a good meet duck?[​IMG]
    The one to the right.
    [​IMG]
    My drake.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  6. poultry bro

poultry bro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    I have had my muscovy drake breed my swedish blue hen and it worked out havent tried hybridizing yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by