Muscovy Duck Color Guesses?

Thank you for weighing in! I wish I knew for sure about his parents, but the lady who gave us the box of ducklings doesn't separate her ducks into breeding groups, it's one big flock. They're all Muscovies, but she has just about every color and pattern possibility minus lavender. She does have a few ripples.

Sorry for sounding ignorant, but I thought barring was only in white. The dark copper edge to his tail feathers threw me for a loop! There is a black barred, bibbed, lightly pied female he spends most of his time with, should I let them pair up as they get older?
Barred is a pattern so can show on any muscovy color

Barred is a pattern so can show on any muscovy color

I feel like a certifiable idiot >< I was confusing "buff" and "cream" and my brain just wasn't computing the "barred" part!

I am a huge equine color genetics nerd, and spent a lot of time reading about Catahoula Leopard Dog color genetics (which...wow are those complicated!). Duck genetics are completely new to me, and I'm still struggling to connect the genotype and phenotype in my dusty brain. Sorry for the confusion!

I just wanted to share an updated picture of my handsome buff Frankie (so named for his beautiful blue eyes - which have now turned green...)

He's got a wonderful laid back personality, and a regal air about him. Of the overwhelming ten drakelets we've got (and need to find homes for, since we've only got four ducks), he's the one I'm leaning towards retaining. I had no idea what a pack of teenaged drakelets was capable of...but good grief they're hooligans! This guy isn't one of the trouble makers, and doesn't get too upset about being handled. He's also not easily stressed by daily life - which I greatly appreciate!

20190929_160849.jpg 20190929_160841.jpg

Did I mention that Frankie seems to enjoy posing for the camera? Lol.

Back
Top Bottom