Muscovy duck feathers

Lisa Dancisin

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
Hi, I’m new Lusa and I’m new to Byc.
In September last year a Muscovy duck took up residence at my home. (She came from a lake not far from my home) In January she hatched 17 ducklings. I was able to get her back to the lake where she stayed until about a week ago. So she’s back laying eggs again. Now usually she comes and lays an egg, stays all day but then leaves every night and goes back to the lake to roost in the trees. Today she tried several times to take off but couldn’t get enough height to fly over the wall that surrounds my yard. I think she’s losing her flight feathers but not 100% sure that’s it at all. But now she’s stuck in my yard sitting in the middle of my pool. There is zero shelter over the pool and only palm trees in my yard. I don’t know what to do for her. My question is will she be okay in the pool all night? I read it could be weeks before she’d be able to fly. Should I try to take her back to the lake?

4E023B0F-28DD-4311-A68A-9E73C7EF0A07.jpeg

Don't take her back to the lake in the condition she is in right now... predators will get her because she won't be able to get away... I think it would be best to contact a wildlife rescue group like CarleeAnn said.... or maybe do something else I don't know...:hmm

Thanks. I read that moving the eggs aren’t ideal. But I’m going to give them a call because she wasn’t able to fly back to the lake again tonight. It’s only a matter of time before something gets her here.

Okay, sounds good:thumbsup (I didn't know that ur backyard wasn't safe)
If she would stay behind the shrubbery she would be safe, but she won’t. She stays out in the open by the pool. I’m keeping the lights on for her but I don’t know if that’s the right thing to do or not. ‍♀️♀️♀️

Back
Top Bottom