Muscovy Duck Temperament

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SweetWaterRanch, Nov 3, 2009.

1. SweetWaterRanch

SweetWaterRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    Loma Rica, CA
    We are getting ready to get a female Muscovy and wanted to see what people thought of them. Any thoughts?????? Thanks! =]

2. DuckMamaorBust

DuckMamaorBust Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Westford, MA
  3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Females are okay. Certain lines can be horrid. Especially with very aggressive, killer males!

4. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Muscoveys are quiet, good egg layers, and great mothers. Their temperments are excellent from my experiences also..Here are a few of mine...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SweetWaterRanch

Jul 8, 2009
    Loma Rica, CA
    Thanks! We would be getting a female.... We have a male Cayuga which was raised with a IB peahen and they were best buds, that was until a male IB peacock showed up on our property and stole her away from him. So now the poor guy is sooooo lonely. We heard that any type of female duck would be fine, and have just been offered the female Muscovy. Just wanted to make sure that this would be a good match, and that they are friendly.
    Thanks again,
    Marija =]

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

momof247371 - that male is so very handsome.

I love scovies - do not currently have any, have had in the past and will be adding them this spring. The scovies I had were always gentle giants and soft story tellers.

My current ducks are call duck/call duck crosses -- very noisy, opinionated and sometimes obnoxious. (still lovable)

7. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I have a precious 7 month old female Muscovy. She is quiet...what a blessing...and just as sweet and gentle as can be. Even though they supposedly don't need a pond, my girl loves the water!!!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  8. SweetWaterRanch

Jul 8, 2009
    Loma Rica, CA
    Thanks sooooooo much.... This is really helping.. We don't want a noisy bird, so it sounds like she is going to be perfect. =]

9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I love my muscovies! They are really sweet birds, with funny personalities. I have 3 females. All are quiet and friendly. They do tend to be broody. I also have male muscovies, so I allow the females to sit on their eggs and hatch their ducklings. They are excellent mothers. One, the dominant hen, is quite territorial when she is brooding. She has never attacked a person, but she's hard on any other female ducks. Thus we have 2 pens. [​IMG]

If your drake mates with a muscovy hen, which I'm sure he will, the offspring will be sterile. Like a mule. That could be a good thing, of course. And if you don't want her to set on her eggs, you could just take the eggs as she lays them, and break her should she go broody. I assume this is similar to breaking a broody chicken, but I've never tried it.

10. SweetWaterRanch

Jul 8, 2009
    Loma Rica, CA
    Thanks lauralou... Are the eggs good to eat??? =]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by