Muscovy Duck Temperament

Muscoveys are quiet, good egg layers, and great mothers. Their temperments are excellent from my experiences also..Here are a few of mine...
23229_000_0371.jpg

23229_000_0368.jpg

23229_000_0365.jpg

Thanks! We would be getting a female.... We have a male Cayuga which was raised with a IB peahen and they were best buds, that was until a male IB peacock showed up on our property and stole her away from him. So now the poor guy is sooooo lonely. We heard that any type of female duck would be fine, and have just been offered the female Muscovy. Just wanted to make sure that this would be a good match, and that they are friendly.
Thanks again,
Marija =]

momof247371 - that male is so very handsome.

I love scovies - do not currently have any, have had in the past and will be adding them this spring. The scovies I had were always gentle giants and soft story tellers.

My current ducks are call duck/call duck crosses -- very noisy, opinionated and sometimes obnoxious. (still lovable)

I have a precious 7 month old female Muscovy. She is quiet...what a blessing...and just as sweet and gentle as can be. Even though they supposedly don't need a pond, my girl loves the water!!!

Last edited:
I love my muscovies! They are really sweet birds, with funny personalities. I have 3 females. All are quiet and friendly. They do tend to be broody. I also have male muscovies, so I allow the females to sit on their eggs and hatch their ducklings. They are excellent mothers. One, the dominant hen, is quite territorial when she is brooding. She has never attacked a person, but she's hard on any other female ducks. Thus we have 2 pens.
smile.png

If your drake mates with a muscovy hen, which I'm sure he will, the offspring will be sterile. Like a mule. That could be a good thing, of course. And if you don't want her to set on her eggs, you could just take the eggs as she lays them, and break her should she go broody. I assume this is similar to breaking a broody chicken, but I've never tried it.

Back
Top Bottom