Muscovy Duck..

c0dywhite

Songster
9 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Organ Cave, WV
I just bought a pair of fully grown Muscovy Ducks and was wondering...

1. When can I let them out to free roam with the other ducks&chickwns w/o them flying/running away?
2. Should I clip their wings?
3. How will they get along with my Male Blue Swedish, Female Blue Swedish, & Female Rouen?

Thank you!
-Cody

Though I am not a Muscovy person, I am thinking it needs to be several days, perhaps a couple of weeks before you let them roam at all, and I would clip their wings. It will be up to the ducks about how they get along, but you can help them out by introducing them slowly, keeping a divider fence between them at first, feeding them all treats at the same time, and just watching to see how it goes. Take your cues from them.

For the details of our introducktions with the Coffee ducks and the Runners n Romy, take a look at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/712646/welcome-to-the-flock-carmella-bean-and-hazel-d

Everything that Amiga said.... We also adopted grown 2 Muscovy ducks, one at a time. We kept them inside in a crate or in a special pen outside for a month. They were not allowed to roam free. After the first week DH tried to take one outside and the first thing she did was fly to the road--it is super tricky to catch a scared duck that is super fast and able to fly. We immediately clipped her wings. Finally we introduced them to the rest of the flock, in the pen but with a separate area fenced off for them (the see but no touchy method). When integrated chickens could have cared-a-less about them, they only wanted to establish where they were in the pecking order. At first the other ducks and the new ones kept to separate corners of the run, not going near each other unless the old ones were chasing the new ones off from something. It has taken nearly 3 months for the rest of the ducks (1 Pekin and 3 Rouen) to be able to be in near each other without fussing and just as long for them to come within 1 foot of us voluntarily to get treats..... It is different for every duck and every flock. Good luck with your new additions.

Alright, that's for the info!
I'll take it all into conseteration. I don't have to worry about them flying into the road bc I live almost a mile off the road, but I do have to worry about them flying into the brushy woods & stuff. Thanks again!

Alright, that's for the info!
I'll take it all into conseteration. I don't have to worry about them flying into the road bc I live almost a mile off the road, but I do have to worry about them flying into the brushy woods & stuff. Thanks again!

What you do think they can fly a mile to the road? I bet they can, I have seen my Muscovys fly along the river for miles before I brought them home and promptly clipped a wing.

I just bought a pair of fully grown Muscovy Ducks and was wondering...

1. When can I let them out to free roam with the other ducks&chickwns w/o them flying/running away?
2. Should I clip their wings?
3. How will they get along with my Male Blue Swedish, Female Blue Swedish, & Female Rouen?

Thank you!
-Cody
Question one and two are almost combined lol I did bring in older birds(well 6/7mths) there wings were clipped by the breeder which i do feel for mature birds is the best idea, make no mistake a Muscovy duck can fly and fly well, now drakes OTOH as they mature not so much, even my well flighted guy at nearing 2yo has been demoted to the ground and a mere flutter.

I kept the new birds penned where they could all see/talk etc with the original flock, this is best to ensure there are no squabbles out the gate so to speak. Even when you do finally mingle the flocks you must be prepared in case it goes all kinds of wrong.

Generally, i have not had any major concerns mind you my experience is limited to only Muscovy and only bringing in new Muscovy as of yet i don't own another breed of duck.

I will ask at this point what are the genders of these Muscovy? if you currently own a drake and are introducing another i'd be very careful with that, i have quite a bit of drake experience here and usually it's best if they grow into the flock vs being adults, even then it can be a bit of tough times.. my drakes have fought twice in the last few weeks alone.

Last edited:
I never said they couldn't, I just simply made a statement. Excuse me.

I'm sorry if I offended you, I wasn't trying to just wanted to make you aware of the fact they can fly long distances and can never come back as a few on here have found out. That is my only reason for clipping their wing, I don't want to lose any of my Scovies.

Back
Top Bottom