muscovy ducklings

sbrooks72561

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2015
I have a 4 week old baby duckling that I am raising and she has a problem with standing and walking...she does eat and drink but usually sits down..

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I'm not a duck person but please do post in the duck section of the forum. I'm sure the duck experts there will be able to help you. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Wishing you the very best of luck with your duckling I hope the experts over there will be able to help you.

Enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif

I'm just now learning about ducks (hope to get some in the spring). I know they need niacin in their diet but check in with the good folks on the duck thread Yorkshire coop gave you a link to.

Thanks for joining us, I hope your duckling will be ok!

I have a 4 week old baby duckling that I am raising and she has a problem with standing and walking...she does eat and drink but usually sits down..

@sbrooks72561Welcome to BYC! I feed my Muscovy ducklings turkey starter, which as a higher niacin content than chick starter and Purina Flock Raiser. @Miss Lydia and @Amiga use a niacin supplement, so hopefully they will comment on how they use it.

-Kathy

Last edited:
There are a few ways to get extra B vitamins into their diet -

brewer's yeast (not baking yeast, not wine making yeast), a nutritional supplement available at some drugstores, health food stores, big box stores. One tablespoon per cup of food is what most folks on the duck forum use.

B Complex capsules - using the B3 (niacin) amount in the capsule as a guide, mix 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of drinking water.

Plain niacin capsules (not no-flush, not timed-release, just plain niacin) - 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of water (this dosage comes from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks).

Bugs also have some niacin in them, but it's impossible to be sure how much they're getting - but I wanted to mention that. Animal protein foods carry some B vitamins in them.

Supplementation should continue for a couple of months, according to Storey's Guide.

@sbrooks72561 Welcome to BYC

I use Nutritional yeast or Brewers yeast in my Muscovy ducklings feed from hatch till 10 weeks old. 1 Tablespoon per 1 cup of feed daily till 10 weeks old. More than likely that is the problem unless it has been dropped or jumped off of something. Once you get them started on the Yeast it usually takes about a week to notice improvement. Make sure you buy Brewers yeast that is for human consumption not spent yeast from making beer. [another is nutritional yeast both work great. ]

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but definitely post on our Duck link that Yorkshire coop left with you and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom