Muscovy ducks in Texas

Kaybear1950

Songster
Mar 8, 2018
Hello,

So I bought 1 drake and 1 duck around September last year, they are full grown and were at least a year when I bought them. I live in the DFW area. I will be buying another duck this weekend to help even out the small flock. About when should I expect eggs? My ducks are doing this "dance" and they are becoming aggressive. temps are around 65-70 during the day and 48-53 degrees at night.

Once they begin mating eggs usually come 2-4 week later.

:welcome
Thanks! It's driving me a little crazy. My chickens are just pumping eggs out every day. I picked up two females this weekend that look great. The guy who I purchased from already had ducklings. I looked on a local buying forum and other peoples Muscovy's have laid in my area too. I have not seen any mating behavior at all from my two originals at all. :/ When I introduced the new girls my two kept biting on their wings and had to sit next to them all day and today are starting to leave them alone. I know they will likely be a little stressed at this point and I will not see anything for a bit. Our 2 new girls are supposed to be 9 months but they are definitely smaller than my current female who is 9-10lbs, the new girls look to be like 6-7lbs maybe but have all their feathers. If I usually give my ducks chicken laying feed is there anything else I can do to help keep them at their healthiest to encourage laying? My foster sons have been giving them worms.

Worms is good protein, greens are loaded in calcium just don't give them spinach. Mine also love grain free dog kibble small bits.

I am not sure why yours aren't laying yet and others are in your area, we just have to be patient, Usually mine are laying by first of march but nothing yet and I saw my drake mate with one of his girls last week that is it. So I am waiting too. lol Shouldn't be much longer.

Worms is good protein, greens are loaded in calcium just don't give them spinach. Mine also love grain free dog kibble small bits.

I am not sure why yours aren't laying yet and others are in your area, we just have to be patient, Usually mine are laying by first of march but nothing yet and I saw my drake mate with one of his girls last week that is it. So I am waiting too. lol Shouldn't be much longer.
Thanks again :D yes just need to be patient. haha. Until then I will try to get some more greens in their diet and see if that improves things. Glad to know Spinach isn't a thing! We put new hay in the doghouse. Our original female made something that looked like a nest, one part in a circle had been cleared away. So I am glad they are liking the new material, we were using pine shavings before. I hope you start to see eggs soon!

Back
Top Bottom