Muscovy ducks water ski!

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
Seriously! I wish I'd've had a camera. Have any of you seen yours fly really fast and swim (feet in water) at the same time? My drake swam/flew (at the same time) really fast down stream and then upstream without stopping, as if water skiing or running on the surface of the water...the whole time flapping wings frantically, like they do when beating the water to clean themselves. It was truly amazing! I think he exhausted himself after doing this a couple of times and I wonder if/when I'll see it again. Very thrilling!

It is a thrilling sight to witness. I've observed a lot of wild water fowl do what you describe coming in for a landing on a body of water. They use those big flat feet to good advantage as a breaking mechanism and also as an aid to take advantage of the surface tension of the water to assist in take off. They have been splendidly engineered by nature.

Yes but this was not taking off or landing. I've seen videos of that.
This was coming out of the brook water (after swimming) and then for many (maybe 50) feet skimming the top while ferociously beating his wings, turning 180 degrees while doing so and heading back across the surface again to where he started. I think he was never actually flying. Really more like running or sliding on the surface! And though you couldn't see his feet move they were in the water the whole time! God, I wish I had a video. It was the coolest thing I ever saw an animal do and was right up there with a breathtaking master cutter horse who did it out of extreme expertise and pure joy (the rider just sat there and let the horse do it).

It is a thrilling sight to witness. I've observed a lot of wild water fowl do what you describe coming in for a landing on a body of water. They use those big flat feet to good advantage as a breaking mechanism and also as an aid to take advantage of the surface tension of the water to assist in take off. They have been splendidly engineered by nature.
I too have seen mallards landing as if on water skis!!

I used to be an avid single ski water skier. I've experienced the "Magic of Meniscus" as I like to call it. The surface tension of water is called the meniscus. It's unlike the water below. The flexible surface behaves "hard" and if it's a windless day, it's like glass in it's firmness. Skiing on meniscus is like ice skating on a groomed ice rink. It's a magnificent sensation.

I've watched a great variety of animals in the field, and they play and have fun not unlike we humans. I have no doubt ducks fully appreciate and find deep joy in skiing or skating on the meniscus.

The meniscus of water, by the way, becomes like cement when a heavy object drops into it at great velocity. That's why practically every suicide off the Golden Gate bridge was complete.

Well I think it's very interesting that this 13 - 14 pound duck used the meniscus while heading upstream at great velocity (for a duck) and not in a glide. I can imagine what he'll do if he's brave enough when the surface of the stream freezes! I hope he didn't wear himself out too much to attempt it again!

That's the behavior I've observed over sixty years of observing wild water fowl. Meniscus and webbed feet are perfectly matched. Wild migrating water fowl also have been perfectly engineered for long arduous flight, as well. It's nothing short of remarkable how well suited ducks and their cousins are to take full advantage of their environment. Nature at her most proficient.

Back
Top Bottom