Muscovy egg trying to hatch do i need to help it or not???

Kwaja

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
I have 2 eggs trying to hatch. One has pipped but it pipped at the wrong end. I think it is malpositioned but I'm not sure. I know the steps to go through when helping an egg to hatch but i have only done it with quails. I don't fully know if ducks are a little different to hatch. I believed it pipped on the 11th. The other 1 was in its air cell on the 11th.
20200812_024340~2.jpg
20200812_024345.jpg

The pic above was when I woke up and I picked off the pieces of egg that was coming off. I also been keeping coconut oil on the part of the membrane from keeping it to shrink wrap.
20200812_213700~2.jpg
20200812_213720.jpg
20200813_020041.jpg

I candle lighted the egg to see where it was at later on and it looked like it turned a little. It was already working on the next spot. I don't know if that color is normal for it or not. It is still moving but I am nervous for it to hatch. My instinct is to help it but i know if you help it too much you can harm it and i don't want to do that. I want to be patient about it but i don't want it to be too late.

P.S. my eggs air cells look big does that mean i need to stop putting in to much water???

Almost all of my Muscovy took exactly 36 hours from external pip to hatch, but yours would have pipped straight out, skipping the internally pipped stage, so add another 24 hours onto that and only after that stage would I intervene. I did have to rescue one of mine. He pipped internally and after 24 hours I made a safety hole because he wasn't peeping back any more. Then he did absolutely nothing until I hatched him out 48 hours later! He's my favourite and he's perfectly perfect so I don't know why he didn't hatch himself.

This thread might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

It's the most comprehensive explanation I have found on every aspect of incubation and hatching and even though it is in the Goose forum it covers all birds. It also explains how to judge if the yolk has been absorbed.

Let me know how you get on.

Almost all of my Muscovy took exactly 36 hours from external pip to hatch, but yours would have pipped straight out, skipping the internally pipped stage, so add another 24 hours onto that and only after that stage would I intervene. I did have to rescue one of mine. He pipped internally and after 24 hours I made a safety hole because he wasn't peeping back any more. Then he did absolutely nothing until I hatched him out 48 hours later! He's my favourite and he's perfectly perfect so I don't know why he didn't hatch himself.

This thread might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

It's the most comprehensive explanation I have found on every aspect of incubation and hatching and even though it is in the Goose forum it covers all birds. It also explains how to judge if the yolk has been absorbed.

Let me know how you get on.
Ok thanks and i would to see a pic of your muscovy.

Here he is as a baby and at about 12 weeks with the others (he's the more white one). We ended up with 2 girls and 3 boys so the 2 extra boys have been sold and are being picked up today. I think the girls are going to be relieved as hormones are starting to kick in! They are 15 weeks old now.
Mottled baby 1.jpg
Muscovies.jpg

Excuse the mud - it's winter where I am and it's been a very wet one.

Here he is as a baby and at about 12 weeks with the others (he's the more white one). We ended up with 2 girls and 3 boys so the 2 extra boys have been sold and are being picked up today. I think the girls are going to be relieved as hormones are starting to kick in! They are 15 weeks old now.
View attachment 2288809View attachment 2288814
Excuse the mud - it's winter where I am and it's been a very wet one.
They are do cute!!!

They are very cute, especially when they first hatch. 🥰

Hopefully your little ones will make an entrance soon. :fl
1 did make it so far its the 1 that pipped the wrong way. It too cute n it is as lively as ever. It chirps and makes the other eggs that are trying to hatch chirp.

Attachments

• 20200814_154502.jpg
    20200814_154502.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200814_154411.jpg
    20200814_154411.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200814_154401.jpg
    20200814_154401.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 5
I just noticed you're using cedar in their bedding, which is a respiratory irritant and should not be used with birds. You need to either switch to pure pine shavings, puppy pee pads, or towels.

I just noticed you're using cedar in their bedding, which is a respiratory irritant and should not be used with birds. You need to either switch to pure pine shavings, puppy pee pads, or towels.
Ok thanks I'll chang a it then.

Back
Top Bottom