Muscovy eggs not developing?

Duckieduck

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
I set some fertilized eggs under my muscovy on June 26th, so they should be ready to hatch any day. However, when I candle them they only look like the embryo is taking up about half of the egg. Does that mean that they stopped developing, or have I got the dates wrong? I haven't ever got this far before and was expecting the babies to be filling up all the space. They are definitely in there, just small. My mama duck is amazing, very diligent and doing everything she should. Any thoughts?

I set some fertilized eggs under my muscovy on June 26th, so they should be ready to hatch any day. However, when I candle them they only look like the embryo is taking up about half of the egg. Does that mean that they stopped developing, or have I got the dates wrong? I haven't ever got this far before and was expecting the babies to be filling up all the space. They are definitely in there, just small. My mama duck is amazing, very diligent and doing everything she should. Any thoughts?
muscoveys take longer than mallard derived breeds
muscoveys are a 35 day duck, whereas a mallard takes 28

what day are you on?

If she didn't sit on them right off, development could be delayed a week or so from your expected hatch day. But if they are due to hatch in just a couple days, then it sounds like they stopped developing as they should be taking up all eggs space except for the air cell, and you should see some bills in the air cells soon if not already.

When you candle is there any movement?

She has been sitting on them since the 26th, because she was sitting before that on some unfertilized eggs and I swapped them over. I think tomorrow is day 35. I see no movement at all. I wonder what happened. I feel so sad that they might not hatch. I will wait of course, and I didn't know sometimes it went slower, so I will hope for that. I don't see any bills in the air sac. :(

Back
Top Bottom