Muscovy eggs not hatching....

muscovy mamma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
Hi All,
I am desparate and really need help. This is my first time hatching muscovy eggs. We are on day 36 going into day 37 and nothing yet. I have 5 eggs in my incubator. Two have pipped internally on day 35 going into 36 already. How long after internal pipping do they pip exernally? When do I need to start worrying and start helping? It's a home made incubator and I have sucsessfully hatched chicks in it before. The eggs are from my hand raised muscovy. It had gotten lost and was almost catfood. A friend saved it and gave it to me. We loved her so much and she was like a child in our house. We got her a friend and they got along like a house on fire. 5 weeks ago my dogs got very excited and she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and they killed her. We were heartbroken. Two days later her friend propably in search of her ended up with the same fait. We found her eggs and decided even though we couldn't replace her, we could still have a part of her with us. These eggs are more precious than gold to us.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the forum. I would post this question on the other backyard poultry tab under ducks. If it were me, I would candle the eggs. If you hear anything then you may be okay but if they pipped and you candle them and see no movement, they may not have made it. I do not know ducks though so please ask the people who are more familiar with ducks. I know with chickens they can be effected by bacteria as eggs are semi permeable.

I hope you have good news.
Caroline

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Ducklings take around 24 hours to progress to external pip from internal pip, though some can take longer. I would recommend posting in the
Ducks and asking the muscovy hatchers for advice also, as I hear they can be a challenge to hatch. Best of luck and fingers crossed!

Thanks all, had been trying all night to log in but had network problems. Will be heading over to the ducks now. :)

Well, even though they are very late, 4 has hatched and one unfortunately died and the last one has externally pipped about 3 hours ago. So excited!! Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom