Muscovy gone crazyyyy or what???

MvWyk

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 16, 2013
Ivory Coast, West Africa

So this is me with my mom's black Muscovy, about 1 year old.
He is such a beautiful black bird.
One can hug him..like I'm doing, touch him or stroke him but as soon as you turn your back on him, he attacks you.
My mom hand raised them (a female as well) and he does the same to her.
Why is this and how can one stop him from doing this as I have 10 Muscovies (5 male and 5 female) and none of them attack me.

I think it's the hand raising myself, Raising a duckling turned drake myself I can tell you they can get to be a handful. Not only would mine come up from behind and attack he would jump on me. Hormones most likely. It took a while but he is a good boy now, I don't think having that many drakes would be causing him to attack it his hormones and wanting you both to be in his harem. Although fighting may break out with that many drakes together. and can be rough on ducks when that many drakes are wanting to mate. Watch how a drake acts towards another one, when fighting is over the winner will run down the loser and hold him down for a sec. like he is pressing his point that he is the dominant drake. That's what I did with my drake when he would come after me, I'd hold him down flat on the ground, on his belly not his back as soon as he quit trying to get up I let him up. . also take a broom along with you and when you know he is coming turn around real fast and put the broom between him and you. if he insists then sweep him away. Your not hitting him with the broom just sweeping him away to make a point. It takes a bit of time but he can learn you are his leader not his mate. Beautiful pic.
welcome-byc.gif

I think it's the hand raising myself, Raising a duckling turned drake myself I can tell you they can get to be a handful. Not only would mine come up from behind and attack he would jump on me. Hormones most likely. It took a while but he is a good boy now, I don't think having that many drakes would be causing him to attack it his hormones and wanting you both to be in his harem. Although fighting may break out with that many drakes together. and can be rough on ducks when that many drakes are wanting to mate. Watch how a drake acts towards another one, when fighting is over the winner will run down the loser and hold him down for a sec. like he is pressing his point that he is the dominant drake. That's what I did with my drake when he would come after me, I'd hold him down flat on the ground, on his belly not his back as soon as he quit trying to get up I let him up. . also take a broom along with you and when you know he is coming turn around real fast and put the broom between him and you. if he insists then sweep him away. Your not hitting him with the broom just sweeping him away to make a point. It takes a bit of time but he can learn you are his leader not his mate. Beautiful pic.
welcome-byc.gif

We have tried it already many times, ruffling his feathers but we also did flip him on his back
hu.gif
Will try holding him down until he gives up. My mom walks around with a stick but will inform her to take a broom..thanks for the great tip.

welcome-byc.gif
thumbsup.gif
Good advice, drakes need boundaries otherwise they think they are dominate over you! I have 8 drakes here(1 is a call, the rest all Muscovy) you have to keep a firm line and that is pretty much with any male whole animal, i have had a stallion and i have a ram, your place as top______(fill in the species) is of great importance.

Last edited:
No he is the only boy around.
My mom only have him and a female
All the more reason for him to be acting up, He is the dominant drake and he wants more ducks which he thinks you all are.
roll.png
They just get too fresh when raised by hand and get confused too as to what your role is in their lives. If your consistent in your training he'll get the message. Please update on progress

Miss Lydia and going quackers, I have used this holding the drake down until he stops fighting, and it has worked way better then I could have guessed! Fat joe and I are best friends now, and he knows I'm boss! Great advice.

Miss Lydia and going quackers, I have used this holding the drake down until he stops fighting, and it has worked way better then I could have guessed! Fat joe and I are best friends now, and he knows I'm boss! Great advice.
It does work and it's not being cruel just teaching them our role and theirs, sure makes for a much better relationship doesn't it. Fat Joe is a very handsome fellow if he's your avatar.

Back
Top Bottom