Muscovy having some trouble walking

cbdinc1

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
Good morning,

I have a male Muscovy who is about six months old. For the past few days he seems to be having some trouble standing/walking. He will get on his feet from time to time, but seems a bit unstable and not comfortable when walking. There is no sign of any visible injury. He is eating/drinking normally. I've found a few posts online about others having similar problems. However it doesn't really specify what the cause or cure is for this. I'm new to ducks, but from my experience with other animals I'm kind of thinking it could be a lack of some vitamin/s. I've read a bit about Soluvet. Not sure if this would help or not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. Could he have been attacked at all or gotten his leg stuck in something? Is he with any other birds?

Hi Kevin,

I suppose he could have gotten his leg injured on something. As for predators there is no way that could have happened. It seems to be both legs are just weak. At least that's how it appears from my novice view :). I'm reading about Soluvet. It appears to be a good, all-around supplement. It seems that it's from Austrailia though. Not sure if there's a good U.S. equiv or not.

If it's both legs then I would try starting him on Niacin supplements.

Did you give them niacin when they were younger? Niacin is needed for good leg development. It can't hurt to give him some. 100-150mg per gallon of water or add brewer's yeast to feed.

Back
Top Bottom