Muscovy Hen Acting Different

Tay's Ducks

Chirping
Jun 17, 2017
Two days ago we noticed our Muscovy hen was acting different than she normally does and she has been the same way since. She is much more quieter than usual. When we open the door to let her out of the house, she stays inside. When we open the door to let her outside to forage (something she used to do all the time) she won’t come out or it will take her a while. Once outside, she moves slowly (walks fine though) and stands in one place for a while before moving again. She is acting like she is scared of something almost. She has been eating and drinking still. Is she scared of our drake? See picture attached. A few days before this happened a friend of mine came over with her beagle dog who scared her at the time too. Is she still scared from this? She also hasn’t laid any eggs since this began.

Attachments

• 532F43FC-000F-46EC-BE57-C6F2CC22256F.jpeg
    532F43FC-000F-46EC-BE57-C6F2CC22256F.jpeg
    704.6 KB · Views: 9
Is there any possibility that she is going broody ?
She has been making a “broody chirp” noise a lot lately. However, she usually lays one egg a day and we remove it from her bowl when she is outside. Would she still go broody without any eggs?

If she is 'talking' broody, she is probably going through the hormonal changes which would explain why she has stopped laying. Without any eggs she may or may not go full out broody. Has she started pulling feathers ?

If she is 'talking' broody, she is probably going through the hormonal changes which would explain why she has stopped laying. Without any eggs she may or may not go full out broody. Has she started pulling feathers ?
Not that we’ve noticed particularly but our drake is shedding like crazy right now too and there are feathers everywhere so it’s hard to tell.

I have the same problem. She’s been keeping to herself. Hasn’t laid an egg in 6 days. Don’t know if she is sick. Or something else.

Explain further. is she sitting on a nest with or without eggs? When she is walking around is she puffed up and making squeaky noises. Have you picked her up to make sure she isn't injured or losing weight? Is she eating, drinking?

Mine isn’t acting broody. Just sits by the pond. Occasionally joining the other ducks but rarely. Putting her feed next to her. Haven’t seen her go up to the duck pen in a while. Can’t pick her up, she moves away.

I'd be hard pressed to not be able to pick my ducks up and look them over. Usually, I walk behind one into the duck house if I need to pick one up. You've got to be able to get your hands on them to check them out they can hide alot behind those feathers. Feel the best bone does it protrude is she in good flesh?

Back
Top Bottom