Muscovy hen with severly swollen head - HELP!

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Well I noticed one of my chocolate scovie hens has a VERY swollen head! Its not just swollen in one spot, its the whole head! About the size between a baseball and softball. I feel so bad for her! I mean she doesnt seem stressed by it and is eating and drinking normally, but still! Its huge! I had a friend over at the time who works at a vet clinic and he says it looks like a bee sting or a snake bite - but i didnt find any puncture wounds.

There was a young pullet on the Emergency board with a giant puffy head the other day. Those who answered figured it was a bug bite or bee sting.

I'd give her half of a Benadryl (12.5mg) dissolved in a bit of water and squirt it down her throat with a syringe. Benadryl will cut down on the swelling.

My dog's whole head and neck swelled up a month or so ago, scared me to death. I took him to the vet and they figured a bee sting or spider bite. They gave him Benadryl and Prednisone pills. In a couple of days, his face was back to normal again
smile.png

If I can catch her tonight ill try the benadryl. Thanks you guys! Ill let yall know if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom