Muscovy Incubation, by Broody or Incubator

Good to know. They're best bet is with mom, so I'll give it a shot. I would like to think she'll also be able to tell they're good fertile eggs and will continue sitting on them.

You have a very good momma there!
thank you! She did great all except for picking at the shell that pipped until it bled so we had to take him into the house after she demolished his egg but he's a month old and doing great!!

T
Thank you.  :fl for your broodies.  WOW, that's a serious girl or do they all start another nest right after??

:fl

Good to know.

X2
[/quote. This is our very first time for all of our broody girls so I don't know if its normal for them to "sync" up or if the breeding season brings it on for all of them! The very first one did lay then sit then hatched her clutch and because of us taking the lings from her adopted the silkies and when she got a little too carried away watching them we put her back outside in the aviary with her mate so she started nesting again after being out there with him for almost a week. Hope this helps we are by far super knowledgeable we found this sight frantically searching for help and answers on what to do with our little first born bloody ling:( can only offer our experience because I remember very vividly how terrifying it was!! Honestly wish you the best of luck and please keep me posted!!

thank you! She did great all except for picking at the shell that pipped until it bled so we had to take him into the house after she demolished his egg but he's a month old and doing great!!
YAY for him!

T
Quote: I have a second broody
wee.gif
Unfortunately she has chosen to nest in the horse stall/house where we lost our broody to a snake. My husband is in the process of securing that stall but it's wide open right now. I didn't find her until it was time to put everyone up for the night. I didn't want to disturb her to see how many eggs she is sitting on. We did secure the house she is in though
fl.gif

Experience is the best advice in my book
big_smile.png

I'm sorry to hear about your pain! I get that way also! The mud the bugs the predators! Just remember we are living in a wild kingdom it's our want to domesticate everything. A farmer friend told me "always have more then you think you need because you will lose plants animals and time to prediction" itreally sucks I know! I've only been at this for a year now so I'm not one to give advice just a little wisdom given to me by a lifetime farmer. Besides city Schmitty what does the city have that we don't ( more rotten people to deal with) smog noise and cement! :p:p
Absolutely!!! Couldn't have said it better!! The snakes the mud the preds all suck but not as bad as the people and their attitudes in the city!!!#nevergoingback!

YAY for him!

I have a second broody:weee Unfortunately she has chosen to nest in the horse stall/house where we lost our broody to a snake.  My husband is in the process of securing that stall but it's wide open right now.  I didn't find her until it was time to put everyone up for the night.  I didn't want to disturb her to see how many eggs she is sitting on. We did secure the house she is in though:fl

Experience is the best advice in my book:D
:highfive: Congrats!!! Hopefully all goes well!!! Do you have any guineas? We have 3 and there's not a snake on our 15 acres that's safe from them!! :lau

highfive.gif
Congrats!!! Hopefully all goes well!!! Do you have any guineas? We have 3 and there's not a snake on our 15 acres that's safe from them!!
lau.gif
Well, she gave up on the nest being that my DH has been in there working. He's about done now and she went back in there tonight so maybe she will start over.

No guineas. We are now trying to deal with a bobcat. It got one of my chickens
hit.gif

Here's a question ....seems like my girls (muscovy) have been sitting on eggs for a VERY long time. How long does this take ?? I feel like its been well over 40 days. I can only get to 1 nest the other is unreachable for us. They are free range always. We only pen them in the winter for safety.
TIA !!

Well, she gave up on the nest being that my DH has been in there working.  He's about done now and she went back in there tonight so maybe she will start over.

No guineas.  We are now trying to deal with a bobcat.  It got one of my chickens:hit
once they're broody they tend to stay that way for a bit there are threads that actually talk about having to "break" Muscovy hens from being broody so you might still be OK!! Good luck!!

Here's a question ....seems like my girls (muscovy) have been sitting on eggs for a VERY long time. How long does this take ?? I feel like its been well over 40 days. I can only get to 1 nest the other is unreachable for us. They are free range always. We only pen them in the winter for safety.
TIA !!
their normal incubation under mama is 35 days and then you have to be sure As to when she started sitting she will sometimes sit for a few while laying an egg but not truly be sitting! We marked our calendar the second day she didn't leave the nest for anything longer than a drink and some food and we ended up being Right on time! It does seem to take forever though waiting for those fuzzy little babies!! We had to keep checking the calendar to only find we had just checked it a week ago but it had felt like an eternity!! :lau

I ended up getting rid of the 4 eggs that should have hatched last week. I didn't do an eggtopsy. I don't think I have the stomach for it. I have 18 more eggs in the incubator and am hoping for a broody chicken or duck hen soon. I would really, really prefer not to try and hatch them myself again.

My Lilac girl is still laying on 17 eggs. Well, last I checked. They're pretty sneaky about moving out eggs they don't want
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom