Muscovy Incubation, by Broody or Incubator

Well, dugh Renee, this is a Muscovy thread, lol.
roll.png

My chicken stayed on them. I'm not sure what went wrong. It was her first time broody and only one of her own eggs hatched. Then the little thing died. It was a bad experience all around.

With all of the rain, I haven't been able to get a good picture of her due to the lighting. I will try this weekend.

I'm so glad I got it out of there before it went KaBOOM, lol

Very nice! I have a container out just like that
smile.png
I thought one of my girls was starting a nest in it but I kept lifting the lid to check on her and she split, lol. I think she moved into a dog house I have out for them. Someone is building a nest in it. There were 7 eggs tonight. I'm just not sure if it's her. Another girl was trying to build a nest on the ground in the night pen. If she's going broody then I will have all 3 of my Muscovy girls sitting on eggs
wee.gif
PLUS my Blue Swedish girl is trying to go broody. I'm going to break her though. She hatched 13 in January and I'm still trying to get rid of two drakes.
OMG soooo true! Thank you.

You're surrounded by hormonal ladies! Those bins work pretty good.

@MinnesotaNice she's actually 6 weeks today. Not sure what color she is being her chest has a reddish tint.
Fallon:

She looks to be a blue to me. This one is the questionable drake from the other thread, correct? It'll be fun to watch this one grow.

Well, I have three broody Muscovy hens. One is doing great and minding her own business with her own eggs. I think they're set to hatch in another week or so. However, my blue and black hens are nest sharing. Sometimes they're both sitting in there or trade off. I'm not a huge fan since they keep accumulating eggs, which is up to 21 last night after I've been pulling 1 or 2 out every day the past few days. If I put one of them on a separate nest of eggs, do you think they'll stay put on their own separate nests or will they both go back to the initial nest? I have 18 eggs in the incubator I want to get under a broody. Seems risky.....

Has anybody tried it?

You're surrounded by hormonal ladies! Those bins work pretty good.

She looks to be a blue to me. This one is the questionable drake from the other thread, correct? It'll be fun to watch this one grow.
This one is definitely a girl. She is so petite just like the solid dark chocolate one.

Well, I have three broody Muscovy hens. One is doing great and minding her own business with her own eggs. I think they're set to hatch in another week or so. However, my blue and black hens are nest sharing. Sometimes they're both sitting in there or trade off. I'm not a huge fan since they keep accumulating eggs, which is up to 21 last night after I've been pulling 1 or 2 out every day the past few days. If I put one of them on a separate nest of eggs, do you think they'll stay put on their own separate nests or will they both go back to the initial nest? I have 18 eggs in the incubator I want to get under a broody. Seems risky.....

Has anybody tried it?
I tried it with chickens once. Sorry I'm no help
smile.png
Can you lock the one you move up for a day or so with her food and water?

Today when I checked on Blanche it looked like she had kicked 3 eggs out of the nest. When I went to collect them later, they were back under her. Is this odd?

This one is definitely a girl. She is so petite just like the solid dark chocolate one.

I tried it with chickens once. Sorry I'm no help
smile.png
Can you lock the one you move up for a day or so with her food and water?

I have no idea what will work. They're crazy little things when they're broody! They were fighting over the nest last night and then they both finally nestled in there. I noticed there were a few chilly eggs, so I don't know how well co-laying is going for them. This is my plan....I'm going to buy a dozen or two gas station eggs and stick them in a different next box. Hopefully, one of the broody ducks will see them and lay in there. Then, I'll do some egg swapping. That's the best I got. Otherwise, I'm just going to leave them be.

Today when I checked on Blanche it looked like she had kicked 3 eggs out of the nest. When I went to collect them later, they were back under her. Is this odd?

They're set to hatch soon, right? That is weird. Maybe she was moving them around and a few got away from her.

Here's a question ....seems like my girls (muscovy) have been sitting on eggs for a VERY long time. How long does this take ?? I feel like its been well over 40 days. I can only get to 1 nest the other is unreachable for us. They are free range always. We only pen them in the winter for safety.
TIA !!
well...they at least 5 hatched maybe more..can't get to them . Momma is very protective. Do I be pro-active and remove her and her ducklings to the duck house ? (none of the ducks use it in the summer)I want them to be raised by momma not me (as much as possible).

Last edited:
well...they at least 5 hatched maybe more..can't get to them . Momma is very protective. Do I be pro-active and remove her and her ducklings to the duck house ? (none of the ducks use it in the summer)I want them to be raised by momma not me (as much as possible).

Oh man, she sure has them tucked away in there. Can they freely get out from the wood stack and have access to food and water? If so, you could just leave them. Predators are always a risk, however. She'd be able to raise them fine in the duck house, too.

I have no idea what will work. They're crazy little things when they're broody! They were fighting over the nest last night and then they both finally nestled in there. I noticed there were a few chilly eggs, so I don't know how well co-laying is going for them. This is my plan....I'm going to buy a dozen or two gas station eggs and stick them in a different next box. Hopefully, one of the broody ducks will see them and lay in there. Then, I'll do some egg swapping. That's the best I got. Otherwise, I'm just going to leave them be.

They're set to hatch soon, right? That is weird. Maybe she was moving them around and a few got away from her.
Good luck
fl.gif
and let us know how it goes.

Due to hatch as early as this Sat. She must have been moving them around because they were back under her today
ya.gif

Oh man, she sure has them tucked away in there. Can they freely get out from the wood stack and have access to food and water? If so, you could just leave them. Predators are always a risk, however. She'd be able to raise them fine in the duck house, too.
x2 how did you ever find her? I put all of my ducks up at night. It's much easier when Mom teaches them to go in and out. I'm for putting them in the duck house.

Broody #2 confirmed. Babe is sitting on 12 eggs
wee.gif
She is a Blue Pied. I've noticed about a million mosquitos in her house. Is there anything safe you can do to get rid of them around ducks?

Broody #2 confirmed. Babe is sitting on 12 eggs
wee.gif
She is a Blue Pied. I've noticed about a million mosquitos in her house. Is there anything safe you can do to get rid of them around ducks?

Awesome! Hopefully, it will be ducklings galore around here soon. I stuck some fake eggs (a.k.a. store bought eggs) in my empty nesting boxes hoping to get a duck to go broody in there. I still have those 18 eggs I need to get under a duck hen soon.

To go the natural route, you could try some lemon eucalyptus oil or lavender bouquets. If possible, get rid of any standing water around the house. I wish I had some better answers for you....

Back
Top Bottom