Muscovy - Is allowing broodiness a break or a stressor?

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
So, my pied Muscovy has had laying issues for the first time this year at the age of 4. She’s responded to the “Daphne Treatment” of calcium + soaks so far, but she had been perfect until this year, so I’m worried about her future. Anyways, being a self-respecting Muscovy girl, she’s been wanting to go broody since the beginning of the laying season. I’ve decided not to fight it for once to give her a break from laying. However, is it a break? I make sure she bathes and eats and takes breaks, but is it more of a stress to brood on eggs that will never hatch or to keep laying? I’m hoping I’m doing the right thing by her.

9CAC25FB-3AA3-41B9-900E-06468CD0F44B.jpeg

So, my pied Muscovy has had laying issues for the first time this year at the age of 4. She’s responded to the “Daphne Treatment” of calcium + soaks so far, but she had been perfect until this year, so I’m worried about her future. Anyways, being a self-respecting Muscovy girl, she’s been wanting to go broody since the beginning of the laying season. I’ve decided not to fight it for once to give her a break from laying. However, is it a break? I make sure she bathes and eats and takes breaks, but is it more of a stress to brood on eggs that will never hatch or to keep laying? I’m hoping I’m doing the right thing by her.

View attachment 3168534
If their not fertil then she shouldn't lay on them. Some hens will lay on eggs long past their hatch date, until they grow really thin. If you want to let her hatch, maybe someone nearby can give you fertil duck or muscovy eggs.

If their not fertil then she shouldn't lay on them. Some hens will lay on eggs long past their hatch date, until they grow really thin. If you want to let her hatch, maybe someone nearby can give you fertil duck or muscovy eggs.
I have been making sure she gets plenty of breaks, baths, and food and water, but I am going to (try to) break her broodiness as both she and her sister have gone round the bend. Her sister, in particular, has become particularly nasty (but still cute). So, all eggs have been found (I hope), and all nests have been destroyed. Break over!

Edited to add: I would get them some fertile eggs, but I don’t want the responsibility of finding good homes when they hatch and 4 ducks is enough for me!

Back
Top Bottom