Muscovy keepers share your pics!

wide hips are for the egg canal I would say.  That is the rule for chickens at least and other birds.

Look hoe thick the legs are and how big the feet are.. females don't have massive legs and feet. Males are wide, waddle, and tend to trip due to thier size.. females tend to stand more erect and walk with less tripping and less waddling.

I dont put females to males, i let the girls decide who to go with, now i do have more females than males but i dont have a system of how many females should go to males, but i would recommend 2 females to 1 male in most cases

how do you manage that? do you keep all of them together?

yep for the most part, they all go up together at night. except for three males which are out free ranging 24/7 due to them wanting to fight, but they sleep up by the pen.

The others now go in our massive backyard which they free range in all day. and go up at night in their pen. They have to go in the backyard now due to the fact that our old good for nothing neighbors who moved, complained about them to the neighborhood board and then we had to find a way to make sure they didn't fly over to anybodies houses so now they go in the backyard. instead of the acreage. The males get along with each other pretty much just a fight every now and then, it doesn't really get to the point where anybody is seriously hurt so I thank God for that.

Look hoe thick the legs are and how big the feet are.. females don't have massive legs and feet. Males are wide, waddle, and tend to trip due to thier size.. females tend to stand more erect and walk with less tripping and less waddling.
Yes big feet and thick legs. But there was no comparison just the single bird. Anyone have definitive proof with pics of same age male and female? Maybe the waddle is the tell. I don't know ducks at all except the heritage farm next to me. no idea their age either.
I thought you were calling me a HO lol

Yes big feet and thick legs.  But there was no comparison just the single bird.  Anyone have definitive proof with pics of same age male and female?  Maybe the waddle is the tell.  I don't know ducks at all except the heritage farm next to me.  no idea their age either.
I thought you were calling me a HO   lol

No. I wasn't calling you one, just a typo

I have been browsing through this thread for the past few hours. lol Slow night at work. ;)  I finally let my husband talk me into getting some ducklings to go on our little farm. We both like Muscovies soooooo we'll have 11 arriving tomorrow morning! I used Country Hatchery and got 5 black pied, 5 blue pied. They left me a voicemail and said they put a free one in there. :) I can't wait!

:hit

When I called them two weeks back they said they were not shipping any more this year :hit

hit.gif

When I called them two weeks back they said they were not shipping any more this year
hit.gif

Really??? I called them last Thursday or Friday and they shipped them Monday. I was surprised at how quick the turnaround was. Maybe they weren't shipping anymore of the color you wanted? Maybe they had enough leftovers to fill my order? I don't know. I'm sorry. :(

Back
Top Bottom