Muscovy keepers share your pics!

She's evil. Lol. 6 of her babies were across the yard in the duck puddle without her and she was still sitting on 2 babies and the three remaining eggs. When I brought the babies back to her she flew off the nest attacking me. Last time I didn't touch her to move her. I just moved the babies and she followed. Hopefully we have muscovy proofed this pen. The last pen we put her in, she and the babies were escaped in minutes.
Well the little stinker. They sure aren't like chickens they will pretty much let their little ones do what they want, where a chicken keeps close tabs on her babies.

Keep us updated.

hugs.gif
thank you I soo needed that!! Its been a long few days!!!
I hope your having better days.

How long does a muscovy mama sit on the nest after babies have started hatching? Most of her eggs have hatched but she still has a few eggs and she's sitting on them for now. But for the babies safety we need to move them into a pen soon. Last hatch we lost all the babies when mom had them on the yard.
sad.png
I also found a baby that had wandered off and was hanging around our baby crested ducks. Must have followed her off the nest when she came to eat at breakfast this morning. I don't want to move her too soon if she has some late hatchers, but we've got to get those babies rounded up and in a secure place. Our house dog doesn't bother baby chickens at all... but he goes after ducks. I also don't like having tiny babies on the yard because of the hawks.
Usually a couple days. I'd go ahead and move them just gather the ducklings up in a box remove mom and then scoop nest with eggs up and take them where you want them to be mom should be right there all upset but put her ducklings back in with her and the eggs and close the door she should be fine after she gets settled. I have moved many mama muscovy's when they had ducklings already hatched and still some to hatch.
x2 Take a good look at the remaining eggs when you move them. If they have not internally pipped (either candle or listen for little peeps) they probably are not going to hatch.
fl.gif
moving everyone.

Awwwh
love.gif

She resisted being caught and moved. We finally caught and moved the babies. She refuses to go in a pen. We can't get her in. So our options were to collect the babies and put them in a brooder or let nature take its course. My husband chose let nature take its course. They have water and the door is wide open for mom. They'll be hawk snacks by the end of the day.

Took the three eggs from her nest. Rotten. She's also already collected her babies from the safe pen with a roof and brought them out on the yard. So I guess I'll do a count when we get home. Already sweaty and late to work trying to catch her to move her.

Took the three eggs from her nest. Rotten. She's also already collected her babies from the safe pen with a roof and brought them out on the yard. So I guess I'll do a count when we get home. Already sweaty and late to work trying to catch her to move her.
That's too bad hopefully she'll be in the pen with them when you get home.

Hopefully if anything tries to come in the yard... the roosters will handle it. We have 4 roosters and a big muscovy drake. The Drake is too slow. I'm crossing my fingers the roosters will see anything going after her babies as a threat too.

Back
Top Bottom