Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I'm having a hard time finding my girl's eggs. I know they're laying. My silkie hen managed to find 6 of their eggs hidden in the coop bedding for me the other day (I think that was Saturday) but I haven't been able to find any more since. I how they don't decode to go lay somewhere in the woods instead. They're definitely sneaky alt hiding them though, that's for sure!

I'm having a hard time finding my girl's eggs. I know they're laying. My silkie hen managed to find 6 of their eggs hidden in the coop bedding for me the other day (I think that was Saturday) but I haven't been able to find any more since. I how they don't decode to go lay somewhere in the woods instead. They're definitely sneaky alt hiding them though, that's for sure!
I usually have to get the pitch fork to uncover them in their houses. They are really good at hiding them.

I usually have to get the pitch fork to uncover them in their houses.  They are really good at hiding them. 
They sure are! I have to dig around in the nest boxes because the eggs are often totally buried; eyeballing it, you'd think there were no eggs. Unfortunately, I believe they leave "mines" in there as a deterrent...I'm going to have to start wearing nitrile gloves to collect those eggs. I ended up with a pretty poopy hand this morning.
1f627.png

They sure are! I have to dig around in the nest boxes because the eggs are often totally buried; eyeballing it, you'd think there were no eggs. Unfortunately, I believe they leave "mines" in there as a deterrent...I'm going to have to start wearing nitrile gloves to collect those eggs. I ended up with a pretty poopy hand this morning.
1f627.png

Hahaha, yea, it happens to me too. They bypass the clean area and lay them in a mucky spot, then cover them up. It may be the Perkins, but I suspect the muscovies are doing it. And when I cleaned out the chicken coop, they all went in and sat in all the nest boxes. Like they don't have their own stuff, and they don't use it. They delight me to no end.

I found a nest this morning! Ebony was ready and waiting at the door of the run this morning. When I opened it up I watched her run around the turkey coop and dive under it in the one spot not very fortified. It's good enough to keep the chickens or but not a determined duck! I had to rip all the logs and blocks away from the sides of the shed to find where her nest was and it took sifting through ask the leaves and stuff underneath with a rake to figure out where she laid. I found a nest with 5 eggs. I refortified the shed so hopefully it'll keep her out!

I found a nest this morning! Ebony was ready and waiting at the door of the run this morning. When I opened it up I watched her run around the turkey coop and dive under it in the one spot not very fortified. It's good enough to keep the chickens or but not a determined duck! I had to rip all the logs and blocks away from the sides of the shed to find where her nest was and it took sifting through ask the leaves and stuff underneath with a rake to figure out where she laid. I found a nest with 5 eggs. I refortified the shed so hopefully it'll keep her out!
Good detective work lol

When my lil OEGB hen went missing I had to wait for her to come out to eat then I tried to be nonchalant and follow her back to her nest. it was hilarious even to me, but I did get to see where she went and found her nest with 11 eggs in it. Boy these girls

Good detective work lol

When my lil OEGB hen went missing I had to wait for her to come out to eat then I tried to  be nonchalant  and follow her back to her nest.  it was hilarious even to me, but I did get to see where she went and found her nest with 11 eggs in it. Boy these girls

I would love to see a video of your nonchalant stalking. I laughed just reading this

Back
Top Bottom