Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I just got 2 Muscovy ducklings today they're so cute/pretty! The lady I bought them from said they're 2 months and both female but I wanted to ask here too just incase. I'm hoping to breed them with my Cayuga drake for tasty meat birds my Cayugas are a couple months older tho so I'llhave to wait for that View attachment 1485934 View attachment 1485935 View attachment 1485936

They are beautiful! I love their coloring! Mine might be slightly older than yours, but maybe by just a week or so. It’s amazing how quickly they grow!

View attachment 1485995 View attachment 1485996 View attachment 1485997 View attachment 1485998

These two were born in May, according to the random person my husband got them from. He went for the two smallest, hoping they would be females. I’m a little nervous about asking on here... My unscientific guess is that the white/yellow one is a drake and the black/white one is a duck. However, they are very similar in size and shape, so maybe they are both female? I really don’t think that the black/white one is male...
Wow that white one looks like it's going to be very very white! I wonder if it's albino?

I'm bringing these 14 fluff balls and their mom home with me tomorrow. I already have a drake and 4 hens. I'm afraid pretty soon I will have more ducks than chickens. I have to say that I am loving my new peepers. I have never had ducks before as I've always raised chickens. Thought ducks would be too hard. So far they are pretty easy other than changing water three times a day. Wish I could do a big pond. Here are the ducks watching my goats inspect Quackerville while my husband was working on it. received_1920796477973217[1].jpeg 20180727_153038[1].jpg

I'm bringing these 14 fluff balls and their mom home with me tomorrow. I already have a drake and 4 hens. I'm afraid pretty soon I will have more ducks than chickens. I have to say that I am loving my new peepers. I have never had ducks before as I've always raised chickens. Thought ducks would be too hard. So far they are pretty easy other than changing water three times a day. Wish I could do a big pond. Here are the ducks watching my goats inspect Quackerville while my husband was working on it. View attachment 1486869 View attachment 1486876
It won't take long for muscovies to outnumber chickens. :gig

Don't tell my husband that or I will be in deep trouble. I already have 32 chickens and now I will have 20 ducks! I can't keep any drakes (i have a good one at the moment) that grow out of the hatch so they will either find other homes as pets or become dinner.

Don't tell my husband that or I will be in deep trouble. I already have 32 chickens and now I will have 20 ducks! I can't keep any drakes (i have a good one at the moment) that grow out of the hatch so they will either find other homes as pets or become dinner.
I have 4 muscovies an am worried that if I don't find their nests soon enough we will be outnumbered. ;) Mine are still young though so not even laying eggs.

That's a lot of muscovy. My tolerance level is around 10-15. They can be messy birds especially in winter, and hunting down the broody hens in summer is a full time job some years. :)

I love that! Opie is beautiful. I don't intend to keep all 20 muscovy. I inherited them from a kind woman who had to sell her farm and move into the city with her parents. I promised them a loving home with the understanding that I could not raise a ton of birds.
As far as hunting for eggs I am fortunate. They live in the pasture with my goats at the moment until I fence their garden and move Quackerville to its permanent home. My husband built them a hiding spot in the goat barn to lay and they are diligently using that. Today one laid in the partially completed Quackerville. It's like Easter every day!

Back
Top Bottom