Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I thought I'd share an update on my guys. This is from about a week ago, when they first got free run in the garden. Wow, they are so lazy! :lau I'm guessing they're getting close to 8 weeks old now.

I did have a question on choosing a drake to keep for the eventual garden duck trio. I have one guy who is super outgoing....eats the mealworms right out of my hand and tries to climb right into the container. He is obviously the most dominant of the group. Would he be the one to keep, or is he likely to get aggressive? Would you keep one of the less outgoing boys instead?

IMG_0092.JPG

Love this set up!
They are still pretty young, do you want to wait to see what they look like before deciding?
I would think he is more dominant, but that doesn't mean aggressive. If you want to go with the idea of natural selection, he might be the one to keep as the fittest survive. ;) The one duck that was more attentive to me is now more stand off. She still comes to me, but I thought she would be a leader. She is still sweet though.
My drake actually is the most "vocal" and greets me first more than the girls. He sees me coming and goes directly to the shed door to wait for me to open it (It opens into their run). He also has started pecking at me - but I mostly ignore him. I walk right past him and only give him attention on my terms not his. He did peck the back of my leg yesterday and I turned to "peck" him back. He scudaddled. ;)
He helps me to round up the girls when I need to. So, whichever one you choose will probably be the best one. My guy was the first one I could grab when I picked him out from his brothers as they all looked the same at a week old. :D

It sounds like you have a lovely drake, I'm trying to spend as much time as possible with mine to hopefully end up with a friendly bunch like yours. I like the natural selection approach. :)

I'd love to keep them for longer but they're running out of space. I was only supposed to start with 6 or 8 and ended up with 14 (long story :rolleyes:). I won't go down to a trio yet, just to a more manageable number.

Back
Top Bottom