Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Hi,
Could be that your humidity was too high, or it could be that the temp of your incubator varied just slightly during the incubation process (been known to happen over night when outdoor temps drop, sometimes hard to regulate with the late winter weather). I would wait a few more days before giving up, I have had incubation delays of, believe it or not, 5 days because of temp fluctuations! The ducklings seemed perfectly healthy once they hatched tho. I live in Minnesota and with our cold late winter/early springs it's hard to regulate temps even in the basement. Hope it goes well for you!

Okay i need just a little help. I have three muscovies and my two girls are running off. i keep them in a pin in my yard and they have been happy there until today. Now they keep getting out and running off. Why? have i upset them? they keep food and water and they have NEVER ran off before. this is the fifth time today and i'm worry. i just put my new Cayuga month old babies in there is that it?
You mentioned two girls out of three ducks, assuming the 3rd is a drake? Could it be your hens are looking for a nesting spot? Do you have an area and materials for them to build a nest in their pen? Just a thought!

To Lydia, I don't think they will get eaten the muscovies have been there for years, perhaps they fly into trees at night? The big pond use to have an island in the middle but the water froze one year and the fox ran across and killed all the domestic ducks, somehow the scovies have escaped.So the farmer dug the pond out deeper and got rid of the island. The two girls "sisters" are both lavender I believe?, does anyone know why they would have different red facial markings? Or is that a daft question! Also there is no pond in the aviary, will the drake be able to successfully fertilize the ducks out of water?

Last edited:
To Lydia, I don't think they will get eaten the muscovies have been there for years, perhaps they fly into trees at night? The big pond use to have an island in the middle but the water froze one year and the fox ran across and killed all the domestic ducks, somehow the scovies have escaped.So the farmer dug the pond out deeper and got rid of the island. The two girls "sisters" are both lavender I believe?, does anyone know why they would have different red facial markings? Or is that a daft question! Also there is no pond in the aviary, will the drake be able to successfully fertilize the ducks out of water?
Were the Muscovies kept with other ducks? the one with less red looks like she may be a mule duck (mix of Muscovy and Mallard based). Mule Ducks are sterile.

Were the Muscovies kept with other ducks? the one with less red looks like she may be a mule duck (mix of Muscovy and Mallard based). Mule Ducks are sterile.

Oh dear then it looks like its down to the one Muscovy duck to repopulate the world! Without the red face is the other duck definitely a mule? Yes the Muscovies were kept with 20 domestic ducks, breeds ranging from aylesbury to Indian runner and Campbell's, I might post this up as a main thread. might get a sprinkling of opinion :)

Last edited:
Oh dear then it looks like its down to the one Muscovy duck to repopulate the world! Without the red face is the other duck definitely a mule? Yes the Muscovies were kept with 20 domestic ducks, breeds ranging from aylesbury to Indian runner and Campbell's, I might post this up as a main thread. might get a sprinkling of opinion :)
dean she may just be too young to have started her carnucles yet. can you see even a hint above the bill, I was having a hard time seeing any. she is beautiful.

I have 6 muscovy eggs in my incubator and today is day 36. Nothing is happening :( Everyone always says keep humidity high for duck eggs, so that's what I did ... but now I've been reading that muscovy should be hatched much drier and that having humidity too high will result in late death of chicks before hatching. Ahhhh! Is there hope? Should I candle them to see if anyone is still alive? Waaahhhh
hit.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

My ducklings have grown up! The duck has laid 26 eggs so far.

the drake drying his feathers after his bath!

duck drying her feathers in the sun

their size difference. does the duck look normal size to you or rather small?

She looks normal sized, hens are usually quite a bit smaller and more feminine than the drakes (wish I could say that for myself! lol)

Back
Top Bottom