Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Duck Love07 AR

Duck Love07 AR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    went outside and there is one egg in the house. is it normal for girls to lay twice a year?

2. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    Some will even lay three times a year!

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Tks, Miss Lydia. [​IMG] Life happens....lol. Stopped by BYC a few times but spent a good part of my free time last yr. w/my sister who went to be w/her Lord and Savior Sept. 24, 2012. Hoping to have a bit more time this fall/winter to peruse the BYC. Great Scovy pic's posted and I really do like the gallery view.... for a quick update. Made a few comments on some of the pic's. ;)

4. muskuslove

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    So sorry for your loss...

Keeperofthehearth, you got some wonderfull muscovy`s!! I really like looking at your pics..:) In fact, it inspired me to get a blue one myself. After a long surch i found a breeder. Early next year, the first blue duck will be mine he said!

Miss Lydia, you got a beautiful flock aswell! I love your coop!

The both of you got some magnificent surroundings!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

So sorry to hear about your sister, but rejoice with you on where she is. makes me think of that verse in Phil.1:21.... but we sure do miss them.

Happy to see you back! [​IMG]

6. keeperofthehearth

Tks, Muskuslove. Hope you do get your blue next year. Love those blues....lol...love all the colors [​IMG] actually.... which causes problems when you want at least one of each color, pattern, whatnot...and don't really have the room for them. ;) Trying to keep it down to one drake and 4-6 hens to overwinter but that hasn't happened yet....maybe this year.

7. keeperofthehearth

Tks again.... and yes, we sure do miss them & I sure do agree to Phil 1:21. Will be looking forward to that day.... and looking forward to seeing some more Scovy pic's in the meantime. [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Thanks muskuslove, I think your place is pretty special and love the pics of your flock...

Now this is what I have to contend with every morning. these 2 girls have been broody for well over 2 months. They just will not give up, but to make matters worse they share this stall with their main love Drake and their sister, so every evening I have to go in and quickly toss them both out[ if I don't do it quickly I get covered in broody poop [​IMG]] then drake and sissy can go in and get their places. They want to sit right in the door way so I have to step over them to clean. oh and they will beat their sister up if I just put her in their without throwing them outside first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Will they never give up? Summers just about over and they have missed just about all of it. LOL

9. keeperofthehearth

Yes.... and as Muskuslove said...sometimes three esp. in warmer climates like Arkansas. I've had my Scovy girls set/brood two-three times even here in Indiana. The longer you let them brood/care for their ducklings the fewer clutches they will set for the year. I have a few broody Scovy who will care for their ducklings up to 5-6wks before really breaking & starting a new laying cycle while others w/break and start up at 3wks ...factoring in temperment, time of year and wheather or not the breeding drake gets to them.

10. muskuslove

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    Duck love 07AR

Here are some fun pics to show you how much they love to go broody...:)
    (sorry, not the best quality)

The eggs...
    [​IMG]

And here`s mom. This was the first day she officially when`t broody. Meaning; she stayed at the nest full time. Except for eating offcourse.
    See that little one laying next to her?. She was only 7/8 weeks old...
    [​IMG]

By the way, they have a special duck coop, but she preferred this spot [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by