Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Speaking of Muscovy egg production, my 1 hen started laying this year. She gave us an egg a day for 12 days, and stopped. I know they have a short annual cycle, but 12 days seems abnormal. I have no clue about duck laying patterns since this is the first duck we've had hat even laid ONE egg. LOL.
What should I expect from this Muscovy?

Speaking of Muscovy egg production, my 1 hen started laying this year. She gave us an egg a day for 12 days, and stopped. I know they have a short annual cycle, but 12 days seems abnormal. I have no clue about duck laying patterns since this is the first duck we've had hat even laid ONE egg. LOL.
What should I expect from this Muscovy?
Our Muscovies do the same thing. Lay a clutch then and taper off, if not stop at all. Do you collect the eggs? Or leaving them in the nest? If there's a drake involved, she'll go broody very soon and begin to sit on them. It wouldn't surprise me if she's sitting part time now and getting used to it. Its almost like egg hatching practice. After hatching, in a week or so, they begin to lay again. I can't speak to any other duck and maybe this isn't normal, but it's what our ducks are doing this year.

Quote: When she started laying, there were 3 drakes with her. Quite the territorial thing to observe. Weeks ago she had chosen a mate, and when she started laying, he would guard her and the nest from the other two drakes. When we got down to only one extra drake, the poor guy would hide in a corner of the pen so as not to get picked on by the mate. It was kinda sad.

I was collecting a single egg each day, because I'd heard the drakes might try to destroy them, so she never had a clutch. As soon as that last drake was gone, she stopped laying. Maybe she had up to that dozen "in the pipe", and it will take awhile before she's ready to go on another spree. I don't know. I've been raising chickens for almost 30 years, But what I know about ducks wouldn't fill a thimble.

Thank you very much for your reply, and the info.

My pleasure! And with Muscovies, the drakes are not typical, at least from what we've experienced. Ours are protective of ducklings, they leave the eggs alone and the only time they lose their manners is when they're mating, which is a lot, but it's what male Muscovies do...
You did the right thing by reducing the number of drakes, your duck had the possibility of being over bred. And that can't be good!
I'm only into this a year so far, so I can't speak like I'm all knowing, in fact I'd say my thimble is maybe slightly larger than yours. And while there is plenty to learn, they are creatures of habit, so at least I get to see something eight or nine times and then figure out its normal....
:)

My pleasure! And with Muscovies, the drakes are not typical, at least from what we've experienced. Ours are protective of ducklings, they leave the eggs alone and the only time they lose their manners is when they're mating, which is a lot, but it's what male Muscovies do...
You did the right thing by reducing the number of drakes, your duck had the possibility of being over bred. And that can't be good!
I'm only into this a year so far, so I can't speak like I'm all knowing, in fact I'd say my thimble is maybe slightly larger than yours. And while there is plenty to learn, they are creatures of habit, so at least I get to see something eight or nine times and then figure out its normal....
:)

In the past, I've only raised Pekin ducks for meat, so long term observation wasn't possible. I do have to say that these Muscovy are everything I hoped they would be. They are an absolute trip to watch, and with which to interact. They aren't really "ducks" as far as I'm concerned, roosting on their own little branch of the Family Tree. LOL.

Hey, I've got a question. My scovy hen used to be a great layer, but after the drake left, (almost 9 months ago) she hasn't laid at all! She is my only duck. Should I get another drake? She's only one year. She seems pretty lonely, but muscovys are hard to come by over here.
-Liv

Hey, I've got a question. My scovy hen used to be a great layer, but after the drake left, (almost 9 months ago) she hasn't laid at all! She is my only duck. Should I get another drake? She's only one year. She seems pretty lonely, but Muscovy's are hard to come by over here.
-Lvi
Muscovy's are hard to come by in Florida? I was under the impression they were every where in Fla making a nuisance of themselves. She probably would love to have a Scovy friend they do seem to do better when there is more than themselves. I am not sure where in Fla you are but seems i saw there is a Muscovy rescue there somewhere.

I understand what you mean. I waited over 5 years to get lucky. The last time I asked my 'chicken guy' if he could get me a pair of 'Scovys, he came back saying he found sexed ducklings for $40 for the pair. Say what??
Then last year I got word a lady was up to her hips in Muscovy ducklings for $5.00 ea! I picked up 6, hoping at least 1 would be a drake. LOL! 5 drakes and 1 hen. Grrrr....
I hate to mention it in this thread, but they sure taste good!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom