Muscovy keepers share your pics!

How old are they ? My Muscovy have always been next spring for mating and laying so I am not sure when your boys maybe ready. here it’s always been the hatch one year breed and lay the next spring plus that must be determined by where you live to because I have a friend in Texas who has breeding and eggs and hatched all yr. so climate must make a difference mine lay usually March thru September then are done till next season. And all they need in winter is a way to get out of the weather if they chose and protection from predators plus feed.

How old are they ? My Muscovy have always been next spring for mating and laying so I am not sure when your boys maybe ready. here it’s always been the hatch one year breed and lay the next spring plus that must be determined by where you live to because I have a friend in Texas who has breeding and eggs and hatched all yr. so climate must make a difference mine lay usually March thru September then are done till next season. And all they need in winter is a way to get out of the weather if they chose and protection from predators plus feed.
Thank you! So, it doesn’t sound like an emergency then. I’m in northern Vermont, so we are beginning the slide towards fall and then the long cold winter. Perhaps they won’t get romantic ideas until the spring! That would give me time to plan an expansion. Their indoor housing is secure and insulated (a barn), but their outside space is a work in progress. I really do like them both, as does Daphne. I’m still going to hold out hope, however silly, that the black one is female ;)

Thanks again! It would be easier if I just had to wait for a drake feather or different coloring! I am enjoying watching them grow. When my hubby went out on his duck search (I had to work, so he went alone), we planned to get 2 adult definite females (Cayugas or Buffs, ideally). Instead, he came back with two scrawny Muscovy ducklings that could only walk a couple of feet before resting and who had never gone swimming. Now, they are really growing on me and the husband, whatever they are, gender-wise.

My drake has been pulling out one particular hen's wing feathers at her shoulder and making her bleed. He only does it to her, and he doesn't mate with her. Has anyone else experienced this or know why a drake would do that?

New mom with her ducklings yesterday morning. I just found the nest a little over 2 weeks ago.
View attachment 1496172

In the barn this morning.
View attachment 1496174

Oh my goodness--I was scrolling through a few recent pages of this lovely thread (so many beautiful Scovies!) and when I saw your hen I gasped. She could be the twin of my girl!

Aspen.jpg

Also included a picture of two of my favorite girls--Willo, the blue hen, is one of my friendliest ducks. Bumblebee is the nearly all-white one. She had the colors of magpie (like her father) and I was expecting a pattern similar to his, but she surprised me with mostly white feathers! Gorgeous girl though.

Attachments

• Willo.jpg
    Willo.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Bumblebee.jpg
    Bumblebee.jpg
    681.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom