Muscovy laying age

1eyejer

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Prince Edward Island
how old are muscovy ducks when they start laying eggs..my ducks are about 4 months old and live out on the pond..its starting to get really cold here in Atlantic Canada..will they wait until spring before laying? I also have a roeun female and 2 aylesbury..also will they interbreed??

No matter where you live, other than maybe central america, ducks should not hatch any more eggs until next spring. besides that, i think they are 8 or 9 months when Muscovies start laying. Anyone else have input?

Yes, they will inbreed. they are not picky and do not descriminate based on relation.

Last edited:
My Muscovy's started laying at 5 months old. Some ducks lay all year round like Pekins. We had fresh Pekin eggs all last winter. Last night, one of my Muscovy hatched out 12 babies, I have another on a nest in my barn and another on on a nest on my back porch. Muscovy's lay whenever they feel like it.

Laurie

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. :

No matter where you live, other than maybe central america, ducks should not hatch any more eggs until next spring. besides that, i think they are 8 or 9 months when Muscovies start laying. Anyone else have input?

Yes, they will inbreed. they are not picky and do not descriminate based on relation.

This is not correct, In Florida Muscovy ducks lay and brood ducklings year around including winter.​

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. :

One of my customers at the bank had a one of her muscovy hens hatch out last december 24th..and hatched out 15 little ones and hatched out again in the spring.​

Mine all started laying last February. Had I left the eggs out there I have no doubt that they would have tried incubating them.
smile.png

Muscovies are NOT an egg laying breed that will lay regularly. They will ONLY lay eggs when they want to raise a family. I get 2-3 clutches per year out of each of my hens, but that's about it. If they start to lay and I pick up the eggs because I don't want ducklings, they stop laying fairly quickly.

GENERALLY, spring hatched muscovies will not lay until the following spring unless temperatures and daylight hours cooperate. That being said I've heard of some spring hatched muscovy hens beginning to lay AND incubate when they were just 4-5 months old. Mine have never done that, thank goodness.

And yes, Muscovies will crossbreed with mallard deriviatives. The offspring of this cross will be STERILE, and are known as 'mules'. If you cross them to a large meat breed, they are well known to be the best meat ducks you can raise, or so some claim. I've never tried to raise any, so I haven't a clue wether or not they ARE a good cross.
smile.png

Last edited:
i have a pair of muscovy ducks she sitting on eggs now this is her 2nd batch the first hatched 6 and all doing well

Back
Top Bottom