Muscovy life span

Mine beg as good as any dog can. lol they have to have their dog food every morning and will not let me forget it. [They get a good handful of dry dog food as a treat]My females can also catch food in the air. My drake just lets it hit him in the face. But he is the one who comes into the coop every day and keeps me company while I am cleaning and talks every breath.
Your Muscovy Ducks are beautiful. I wish I could show pictures of mine. Three eggs hatched out, one with my assistance after the Mallard Duck left the nest and I put it in a home made incubator. It started out being lavender fuzzy down with a Mallard face. I think it may be a mule. My other two that hatched out in my store bought incubator have some lavender down on them too. I have two 6 year old Rouen Hens, a male Muscovy and a female Muscovy, Male is black and white with a pretty lavender spot on its back, female white with a golden chest and tail, 2 Mallard Hens and a Drake Khaki Campbell and a Hen Khaki Campbell. I am afraid that the biggest of the three ducklings is a Drake. It is so funny though because it is getting a chest that is like a Mallards even though it came from a white egg like the Muscovy eggs that I get. My Mallards only lay green eggs. The Khaki Campbell hen is only 3 months old so they did not come from her. I think my Mallard Rouen Drake that is in the pen mated with my Muscovy. I have seen him do that. It will be interesting to see how they all three turn out but I surely wish I had not heard that Drake whistle coming from the pen yesterday.

How come you can’t post pictures?they sound beautiful.
I have tried but I don't have the technology. I wish that I did. I have pictures of them on my phone and on my FB though. I don't know if you have FB or not. I do good just to be able to get on here and even then I find myself on the wrong sites to advertise a new home for my Khaki Campbell Drake. I was born in the wrong year my Dear. lol

This is my drake Opie he
image.jpg
loves to come while I’m cleaning and make a nest too. Hes such a goof.

I have tried but I don't have the technology. I wish that I did. I have pictures of them on my phone and on my FB though. I don't know if you have FB or not. I do good just to be able to get on imputed here and even then I find myself on the wrong sites to advertise a new home for my Khaki Campbell Drake. I was born in the wrong year my Dear. lol
I was too! I can barely get on the computer.

This is my drake Opie he View attachment 3148161loves to come while I’m cleaning and make a nest too. Hes such a goof.
He is absolutely beautiful and looks so much like my Oscar! Oscar is so funny when he raises his mohawk and hisses at me but never once has he ever tried to attack or bite me. He just wags that puppy dog tail and eats lettuce out of my hand when I am giving out their treats.

I can't say that about Opie. He's beginning to calm down now but boy this year he was fired up with hormones and here he is 11 yrs old and thought it would be calmer this season. He literally wanted to fight with me. Now we lost our old gander in Feb and him and Opie were arch enemies during breeding season and would have to be separated so maybe he thought okay I'll just go after her. He was worse this year than any previous years and he was hatched here. He still has the female goodse to aggravate. But it was me that got the most of it and I have a Runner drake that he totally ignores. They can sure be nutty.
Hormones can sure play havoc with them. Poor boys.

Last edited:
I can't say that about Opie. He's beginning to calm down now but boy this year he was fired up with hormones and here he is 11 yrs old and thought it would be calmer this season. He literally wanted to fight with me. Now we lost our old gander in Feb and him and Opie were arch enemies during breeding season and would have to be separated so maybe he thought okay I'll just go after her. He was worse this year than any previous years and he was hatched here. He still has the female goodse to aggravate. But it was me that got the most of it and I have a Runner drake that he totally ignores. They can sure be nutty.
Hormones can sure play havoc with them. Poor boys.
I have been very lucky with Oscar. He mates with my 6 year old Rhoens and his Sister Olivia but has left my smaller Mallards and Khaki Campbell hens alone. I have been fortunate because I have 6 hens and 3 drakes together and so far no blood shed or anyone getting hurt. My Mallard Rhoen Drake is now 2, the Khaki Campbell Drake chases everyone around and is only 3 months, and then Oscar who will be a year in August but has for sure been mating all of the hens except for the Mallards and Khaki Campbell. I hope if I am still around when he is 11 he does not chase me like yours has been you. Hopefully yours will be good from here on in.

My Mallard Rouen Drake on the other hand goes after all of the hens, he is not particular if they speak his language or not it seems, lol. That is why I think the babies that I have might be mules. They have the yellow and black splotchy feet and being lavender in color with their downy feathers makes me know they are not pure mallards. With the mallard colored chest coming on them I know they are not pure Muscovy either. I know the biggest one is probably a drake for sure. Have you ever had a duckling hen whistle before? I never have and this one is whistling so I figure it must be a drake.

Back
Top Bottom