Muscovy life span

My oldest were 14, probably would have lived longer but a hawk got them. Both had some arthritis but were still laying and going broody every year. I've read muscovy are more similar to geese than ducks. Geese live long lives too.

My oldest were 14, probably would have lived longer but a hawk got them. Both had some arthritis but were still laying and going broody every year. I've read muscovy are more similar to geese than ducks. Geese live long lives too.
Wow, that's really great to know. I have one that is less than a year old that is laying and my Rhoen hens that are 6, one is still laying. I started getting cream colored eggs that I have never gotten before from my flock and I thought it was from my 3 month old Khaki Campbell hen. She is getting mated regularly and has been full grown since she was 2 months old. I don't know if anyone has ever had one lay that young or not.

Earliest I have gotten eggs was from my Runners they started laying at 4.5 months old.
My Muscovy have never started mating or laid until around 9 months.
My Muscovy will be a year old at the end of July this year. She started laying in April. My Rhoen eggs are huge and I am only getting one now as the hens are 6 years old. My Mallard eggs are smaller and are a light green. The Muscovy egg is pure white and the size of the Mallard eggs only a tiny bit bigger. Then this cream colored one that is the size of the Muscovy egg shows up recently every day. That is why I think it must be the Khaki Campbell because she is the only other Hen that I have. She was born February 24th of this year and I have been getting those type of eggs for a few weeks now. They get fed flock raiser, layer pellets and a little scratch daily and the bowls are always full for them. Since she has Runner in her I think they have to be hers and she is just an early layer. She is a very big duck along with her mate.

Back
Top Bottom