Muscovy Lovers.... I have a question.

So leave them and they will be babies? Even if she isn't setting on them all day. ( I don't know if she does at night or not) I am so confused.
hmm.png

How long is she leaving them? If there are only 8, she has a while. Mine usually waits until there are at least 12 eggs. Once the duck starts sitting, she usually only gets up for short breaks to eat and drink, then gets back to business.

She comes out of the pen in the early morning and doesn't go back in until dusk when we are putting them away. Today she hesitated and didn't run right out with the others, so I closed her in, but 30 minutes later she was having fits to get out with the other ducks so I let her. Once again she didn't go back to the pen until dusk. Ai yi yi!! First time mothers!!
hmm.png

She comes out of the pen in the early morning and doesn't go back in until dusk when we are putting them away. Today she hesitated and didn't run right out with the others, so I closed her in, but 30 minutes later she was having fits to get out with the other ducks so I let her. Once again she didn't go back to the pen until dusk.

Thats normal for Scovies. Once she sits on them all day & night with just a short break or two THEN start counting the days. Scovies take forever!!!
lol.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. She did the weirdest thing this morning. I let the ducks out of the pen and then went into check how many eggs she had. Well she hadn't laid another one. When I came out of the pen, I didn't see her, but I did see my Appleyard/ Khaki cross, Apple, walking back and worth and having fits in front of a window well. So I walk over to see what's going on and there's Lucille, down in the window well and she'd laid an egg in there!!! Now why on earth would the big dummy do that? So I waited till she got out and took the egg and put it in the pen with the others.

What a weird duck she is. Gotta love her.

Oh and I should tell you what I did.
hit.gif
. A friend of mine got her muscovies ( Mike & Maddie) the same time I did. Well her female started laying just a little before Lucille. I told her what the farmer told me the other day, and instead of waiting 'til I confirmed it through you guys, ( LIKE I TOLD HER TO!!!) she took all 10 of her duck, Maddie's, eggs and put them in her refrigerator!!!!!
hmm.png

I told her I was really really really sorry, that she really should sign up here and not listen to dumb ole me and at least she could make a great cake or two because duck eggs are really great for baking. She hung up on me. REALLY!
hide.gif

hide.gif
oops well atleas they werent half formed or something!!
th.gif
owell u learn from mistakes!! maybe u could give her a duckling or two as a make up present lol goodluck with the hatch!!!
lol.png

As long as they don't freeze, I bet they will still hatch. It's in the 30's here at night, and my hen still gets her eggs to hatch. Tell your friend to go put those eggs back out there and try it at least.
big_smile.png

She has them back in the nest, we will see what happens and I'll let y'all know.. Meanwhile I promised her a few of my babies if it doesn't work out.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom