Muscovy/magpie

Jed MacPhee

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2021
Hi we have a Muscovy drake and a female magpie the magpie is sitting on a clutch just now and it has seemed a lot longer than the suggested hatching times I’m wondering if they will take longer to hatch as she mated with a Muscovy?
She had kicked an egg out last week which I opened and the duckling was just about formed?

Yes Muscovy eggs take longer to hatch than mallard derived eggs :)

I never get to see many pictures of muscovy hybrids so please keep us updated with pics when they hatch if you can :)

Thanks for your reply if they are laid by a magpie but the drakes a Muscovy I was just wondering if they would take longer to hatch than a regular magpie clutch as it’s becoming concerning that they haven’t hatched yet she’s sitting on 13 so it’ll be a shame if maybe because the nights are getting quite cold that they are maybe gone?

It's a myth that they kick out bad eggs sometimes it just happens. How long has she been nesting? Muscovy do take longer. I would imagine muscovy mules would take longer as well. But, all of the eggs might not be viable. Have you candled them at all?

She’s probably been sitting for around 30 days I candled them recently and they looked fine still a clear air pocket and the one that she kicked out I opened to see how far on it was and it was maybe 3/4 formed possibly so I’m hoping if they are going to hatch it will be soon

our Muscovy was sitting on 9 eggs last time but only 4 hatched our magpie is sitting on 13 or 14 just now is it normal for a few not to hatch or do they normally all manage to hatch?

our Muscovy was sitting on 9 eggs last time but only 4 hatched our magpie is sitting on 13 or 14 just now is it normal for a few not to hatch or do they normally all manage to hatch?
Hatch rates are affected by multiple things - the broody, if all eggs are fertile, viability due to genetics, etc... It's not "normal" when every single egg hatches if that makes sense.

Thanks I was thinking not to expect a full hatching when only 4 from 9 hatched last time and we only have one survivor from our first brood a crow went off with one first week and we think an otter killed 2 next to the burn we live beside so only 1 left hopefully have more luck if some of these ones hatch

Back
Top Bottom