MUSCOVY MEAT!!!!

Well, this is a lengthy article, but it explains how this method works. It's truly amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

This is the Sous Vide website - I have the smaller oven, about the size of a bread machine ($325)

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/Department.aspx?DeptID=1&AdID=177

I was horrified when hubby spent that much, but I use it at least 3 times a week. I have to say, I've saved so much money by being able to buy cheaper cuts of meat and making them so tender.

Or, if your hubby is clever with electronics, you can get him to convert an old slow cooker for you. There are web sites all over the place explaining how to do it. But they are kind of ugly, and I wanted something nice!

PICS TOMORROW!

Muscovy meat is great stuff indeed! My favorite recipe I've discovered yet is something along these lines--it's insanely good, not hard to make, and with the wine and slow cooking yields meat so tender it falls of the bone, like braised pork shoulder or something:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/duck-stew-recipe/index.html

I too have found the meat to have a certain firm denseness to it. Not bad, I personally appreciate the firm, rich meat. It reminds me a little of wild boar, or perhaps lean lamb, in texture. But it does beg some careful preparation as meat that lean can easily become on the tough side. I also plan to slaughter some younger if I hatch a lot, and see how that works....

This is the duck breast
\

This is the Sous-Vide water bath - you can see the temp I set at just around 134 F

And the duck in the bath - it went in at 9:00 am

I will take more pics after it's done tonight, the skin crisped with a torch, then sliced and plated!

Muscovy meat is great stuff indeed! My favorite recipe I've discovered yet is something along these lines--it's insanely good, not hard to make, and with the wine and slow cooking yields meat so tender it falls of the bone, like braised pork shoulder or something:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/duck-stew-recipe/index.html

I too have found the meat to have a certain firm denseness to it. Not bad, I personally appreciate the firm, rich meat. It reminds me a little of wild boar, or perhaps lean lamb, in texture. But it does beg some careful preparation as meat that lean can easily become on the tough side. I also plan to slaughter some younger if I hatch a lot, and see how that works....

Yup, boned and stuffed is really wonderful - I do it to the hens since we sell most of the drakes. Cooked nice and slow in a dutch over it really does make a wonderful tender bird.
Although the link is how to bone a chicken, its exactly the same for duck, and I use a similar stuffing.

Oh wow! Thanks you guys! Looking forward to some more pics! Is that bag made especially for the machine? What type seasoning do you use?

I will have to try all of these!! :)

Oh wow! Thanks you guys! Looking forward to some more pics! Is that bag made especially for the machine? What type seasoning do you use?

I will have to try all of these!! :)

These are the bags you get for a vacuum sealing machine. But, if you don't use really high heat, I believe you can use heavy duty ziplock bags, carefully removing all the air. I only put a "TINY' pinch of salt in, since this type off cooking tends to enhance any seasonings.

Do you slaughter at 12 weeks?
"Depending on the breed and management, ducklings are normally in full feather for only 5-10 days sometimes between the age of 7-10 weeks of age, except for Muscovies, which require 14-16 weeks to feather out. Shortly after achieving full feather, young ducks go into a molt and begin replacing their juvenile garb with adult plumage. If ducklings are not dressed before this molt commences, butchering is best delayed for 6-10 weeks them the adult plumage will have been acquired" Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks ; Dave Holderread

My drake was a lot older, so tougher; I would cook a young bird for only about 3 hours, not the 10 I plan for this one.

When I was Kid we lived in a Cotton patch and Rice across road .We always had a herd of them,My Dad loved them and of course we as kids did too.They Kinda raised there self.It was one of our staple meats besides Guineas ,chickens ,turkeys ,geese...cva34

Back
Top Bottom