Muscovy owners...Sexing scovies...Feathering ...[w/pic]....

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
there seems to be many questions about sexing our Muscovy babies...
and we don't want to wait..... me included...
barnie.gif

Thought I'd show my scovies by their back side....
92534_dsc01437.jpg

these babies are 9 weeks old...and 5 of my 6....looking at their feathering from the back
you can see that two appear to have less feathers...top left and top right...I believe these to be drakes.
The female duck feathers up much quicker than the male.

If you look at the two from the left I believe you can see the size different as well...
larger being male and smaller being female.
fl.gif

Does anyone have anything to add...pics of your babies back sides maybe?
gig.gif

sounds kinda funny but lets see them.....

(believe the info I gave to be correct but definitaly let me know if not.)

Well I do know that the females feather out faster .and looking at my drake who is almost 5 months old he was already bigger than my adult females at around 9-10 weeks.

I also know hens feather out faster but i'll be honest my last pair of babies feathered pretty quick to and they are drakes.. size and legs/feet tend to be the dead give away.. feathering is less reliable. As well, soon enough they start to make different noises.. the males hiss and the females will chirp/peep and actually quack.

What are the feet/legs like? hens have shorter more overall small feet.. males have longer feet & longer legs... i have 5 hens here and 3 drakes(had another drake he's been sold) so i have seen quite a few now.. all my birds are 6mths and less.

Here is a pic of almost all my flock.. one of the younger males missed the shot lol
IMG_1964.jpg

Ok, the ones in the pen are all hens.. the it's called a black.. is a young drake, one to his left is spot my main drake followed by my two oldest hens...

Here is a closer shot of my younger drakes and the hens in the pen LOL
lol.png
You can actually see a hens leg pretty good there and one of the drakes.. the drakes are younger than those hens in the pen.. You can not only see the overall size is bigger but the legs/feet are so much different sizing wise.

IMG_1996.jpg

Last edited:
Going Quackers wrote:
What are the legs/feet like?

my females legs are shorter and their feet are smaller than the boys with
the males having longer,thicker legs and much bigger feet than the girls.
Found this pattern in all 10 of my current scovies as well. Lost four to
predators...
hit.gif
....hard lessons..

Okay...I'm learning too....

come on muscovy owners....more input/pictures are encouraged please!!​

Last edited:
Quote:
my females legs are shorter and their feet are smaller than the boys with
the males having longer,thicker legs and much bigger feet than the girls.
Found this pattern in all 10 of my scovies as well.

thumbsup.gif
I have found now that i have had 4 drakes and 5 hens the legs have been my best giveaway.. everyone kept hoping the blacks were hens but i had doubts as those legs/feet grew
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom