muscovy question

bee_wrangler

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Just wondering if the red skin around the eyes and bill (not shure what its called) would be less in a male than a female? I have three muscovies, the biggest one has alot more of the red than the other two, I had thought it was a drake but after seeing pics on here I am not shure now

drakes have more crauncling (the red stuff, i'm not sure is spelled exactly right, but that's how i spell it lol) drakes are also way bigger than females and have bigger feet. my drake is too big for his own good. lol.

The red skin is called caruncles. And if I recall correctly (I have runners but am fascinated by Muscovies), there are generally more caruncles on the males than the females. As far as size goes, often in birds, females are larger than males. I think it has to do with their role as egg layers and brooders.

Lovesduckies is right about the bigger feet. Without the different voice and culrl in the tail it can be difficult to tell the difference with Muscovy in comparison to mallard devived ducks- But size is usually a good indicator.

If the larger one has bigger feet and more caruncling - you could be nearly certain it is a drake- But maybe if you post some pics- There are plenty of scovy breeders on here that could tell in a second exactly what you have.

Quote:
hmm.. i beg to differ, i have 2 scovies in my room and my drake is almost twice the size as my female. every muscovy breeder i have come in contact with has been able to tell mine apart by size.. muscovies aren't your typical duck... they don't quack, they like water, but not as much as "regular" ducks, they roost in trees, climb, i have read that most ducks mate in water, mine don't really, i read scovies don't mate in water so much as they are usually not in water as much as "normal" ducks. i could be wrong about mating though, as i am no expert, but being around them 24/7 because of them being in your room, you tend to learn a lot, especially when you do tons of research on them. drakes don't have the "drake feather"

Last edited:
Here's a pic of mine. The one in the middle is the male, he and the one closest to him are 17wks, the other is 21 wks.
Hope this helps
10271_kids_ducks_chicks_057.jpg

Quote:
lol, my hen squeeks, i should have named her squeekers instead of quackers lol.

i've been trying to get a picture of mine to show the size difference but it's kind of hard to do.

Muscovy drakes hiss and the hens coo very prettily.
wink.png
Drakes are larger, bigger feet & more caruncles & also have a larger "crest" that they raise on their heads when upset, frightened, mad. The hens have crests also but much smaller and usually raise them only when they are on the alert and/or frightened.

Back
Top Bottom