Muscovy questions:

I have tried several times with 3 week old muscovy last year and just tried with my 2 week old muscovy but I think I was too afraid to hurt them because I sexed them all as girls and one from last turned out to be a drake. If I have another batch hatch I may try when they are very little if the mom will let me. The bigger they are the harder it is because they squirm so much.
I have been watching the metzer video about sexing and am thinking about trying it, although not sure how mama will take to me turning her babies upside down.

by day 2 actually. I can see me now, I'll get a duckling and have mama hanging off my arm in a death grip. LOL

Ah, ok. yeah.. the hen that is sitting right now attacks the stall fork while i am cleaning the barn up
roll.png
Feisty!

LOL yes.. we too.. IF we have any success with the nests here i want to keep at least a pair of hens maybe 3... My other hen is still MIA.. so i need to probably sadly fill her spot.
hit.gif
Unless she comes back with a brood of her own ... would be just my luck.. six thousand Muscovy!
lol.png

I hope she comes back with the six thousand Muscovy! That would be too much fun!!

I have been watching the metzer video about sexing and am thinking about trying it, although not sure how mama will take to me turning her babies upside down.

No way would I be brave enough to do this yet!

It is amazing to me how much my Muscovy have changed since I originally posted their pictures.

I am pretty convinced I have 2/5 chocolate females and 2/4 white females. Of the younger group, it looks like 1/5 is female, as one is obviously smaller than the others.

They are all so beautiful, if only they weren't so nasty. It seems like our fly population has multiplied exponentially now that we have Muscovy! Which leads me to a new question: At what age are they able to forge enough to grow, breed, and reproduce without needing feed?

We tried to take the older Muscovy to the pond a few days ago. It's about 300 feet from the house. This did not work out very well. We managed to get them to the pond and some into the water, but when we turned to leave, the Muscovy beat us back to the house. I was really surprised, as they are early February hatchlings. I felt sure they would be ready for the pond by now. We took the Pekin, and I think they would have stayed, but when the Muscovy started running home, the Pekin followed. We have taken the Pekin back a couple of times since, and they stay for about 15 - 20 minutes before waddling back up to the house. Now, when we start trying to herd the older group of Muscovy in that direction, they turn and run the other way.

Thanks for your help determining gender!

It is amazing to me how much my Muscovy have changed since I originally posted their pictures.

I am pretty convinced I have 2/5 chocolate females and 2/4 white females. Of the younger group, it looks like 1/5 is female, as one is obviously smaller than the others.

They are all so beautiful, if only they weren't so nasty. It seems like our fly population has multiplied exponentially now that we have Muscovy! Which leads me to a new question: At what age are they able to forge enough to grow, breed, and reproduce without needing feed?

We tried to take the older Muscovy to the pond a few days ago. It's about 300 feet from the house. This did not work out very well. We managed to get them to the pond and some into the water, but when we turned to leave, the Muscovy beat us back to the house. I was really surprised, as they are early February hatchlings. I felt sure they would be ready for the pond by now. We took the Pekin, and I think they would have stayed, but when the Muscovy started running home, the Pekin followed. We have taken the Pekin back a couple of times since, and they stay for about 15 - 20 minutes before waddling back up to the house. Now, when we start trying to herd the older group of Muscovy in that direction, they turn and run the other way.

Thanks for your help determining gender!

I think that would take time, i know when our first flock starting free-ranging they barely went anywhere now.. they wander all over the place. I can't comment much on the flies i have other livestock so flies are always here plus frankly they were here before we ever had livestock, has to be the area.. mine are all good forgers and bug eaters.

Back
Top Bottom