Muscovy still laying..is this ok??

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
I live in the New River Valley area of Virginia, southern end, close to the North Carolina line...
my main muscovy hen has started laying again...is this ok?? is it too late in the year/season for her
to start and sit on another nest?? this will be her 3rd nest this season ...... she produces
beautiful ducklings.....just don't know so thought best to ask since cooler weather is around
the corner...??? this was my first year with muscovies so any guidance is welcomed!

It should be fine to let her hatch a clutch if she's a good mom. I have heard of people here in Michigan that have ducklings hatch in the colder months that do fine. She'll keep them warm and they are hardier than people give them credit for.

I had one hatch some off in November one time. (We didn't know where she was and then she appeared with adorable babies!) They were very cute, but all of them died. We allow ours to free range during the day hours, but if we ever have another hatch babies out that late, we will either take the babies and put them in a brooder OR put Mom and babies in a small pen. I think the problem was that she would allow then to go away from her and play and they just didn't make it back. She did the same thing with her last clutch and we lost one before I decided to put the whole group in a smaller pen. We kept them there until the ducklings were fully feathered and then let them out and they were fine. Don't know if it was just this particular Momma hen or it is common, but she just gave them too much freedom and it was pretty cold. (although not nearly as cold as some other places)

thanks for your input....I'm sure many thought this was a lame question but if you don't know, you just don't know...
so for me , asking might bring an answer/advice that is helpful! Thanks!
frow.gif

I don't think it was a lame question at all. It is a bit late in the year for a clutch and it's good that you care what happens to the ducklings. So, are you going to let her hatch them?

She really is a good mom....and her ducklings have all been colored up real pretty....I think I probably will.
I guess if it should turn very cold I can always take the ducklings from her to ensure that they are ok....
thanks for the replies...

I agree. You don't learn if you don't ask. Please don't be embarrassed and feel free to ask more. I asl "lame" questions all the time.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom