Muscovy Voices

Oh ok thanks @Gatsbysmum

Well then @lab122679 they look kinda like a blackish chocolate color but if there young it could always change and fade.

Oh ok, I ask because they have like a teal greenish color on the feathers that cover their wings. At the age they are, would it be possible to tell what is male or female? My friend didn't know either when she gave them to me.

Well the tealish green coating is just the black its normal on black ducks which they are adult feathers so there maturing! It is possible but it's up to how fast there maturing, males will hiss and females will make a peepish tone also males will have a curled feather on the top of the tail females don't.

Well the tealish green coating is just the black its normal on black ducks which they are adult feathers so there maturing! It is possible but it's up to how fast there maturing, males will hiss and females will make a peepish tone also males will have a curled feather on the top of the tail females don't.
Muscovies don't get the curled feather on their tail do they? I think the video I posted on page 1 shows the sounds a girl makes. I now have 4 or 5 that are making that sound. They talk to each other with it when they get in the pool it's so funny.

@lab122679 I am no good at telling males from females yet since I have my first babies this year as well but your duckies sure are cute!

Muscovy are not mallard derived ducks so they do not get drake curls that is a mallard drake feathering.

As for the voices those are typical juvenile muscovy sounds .. i can try to see if i can get adult voices today but that is not easy... size is where you will find the difference long before the voices on scovies... that is the last thing to usually be noticed...

My oldest pair of juvenile birds i don't think i can make them sound for a camera.. the drakelet is still chirping for his 'girl' when he loses her... so the proper hiss of a drake has yet to come but he's still completing his feathering, now the feathering you can watch for .. ducks do feather in faster than the drakes.. those their wings are usually the last to come in..

Gotcha! Mine are so called chirping and talking to each other all the time but one of them will go after my lil puppy if she gets to close to the water.no hissing yet though

Back
Top Bottom