mushroom control

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrdruids, Jul 30, 2011.

1. mrdruids

mrdruids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    i read that mushrooms can be bad for chickens, but come fall the darn things are everywhere. do i just need to go out every morning and pick as many as possible? anybody have any mushroom related problems with their girls and/or advice about what to do about it? i would really hate for one of them to eat a psilocybin mushroom and have a bad trip [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. mrdruids

Jul 27, 2011
    nuthin?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    That's a tough one! Depends upon what kind they are, I guess. We are in a very humid area and get lots of mushrooms and toadstools. I rake them up and pitch them where the chickens can't find them. It's a pain, but better than the possible alternative.

4. mrdruids

Jul 27, 2011
    yea sounds like a pain, but id do it. i was hoping there was some kind of chicken friendly mushroom killer but i couldnt find anything on google [​IMG]

5. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    PSILOCYBIN!
    I'll be right over. Don't do anything with them! Its best if I take them and ...destroy ...yea destroy'em.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's no need to worry about everything.

They are chickens and can survive

7. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    We went to the mountains mushroom picking, and when we got back to seperate the better ones from the others, we ended up with a lot of wormy ones, and decided to try them on the chickens. They wouln't even touch them. Are you sure your chickens are trying to eat them? If not I wouln't worry, and would look up to see if I could eat them myself in soups and stir- fries. Mmmmm mmmm.

8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just reading in the book City Chicks, written by Patricia Foreman (also author of Chicken Tractor, Day Range Poultry, etc.), that mushrooms are good for chickens. She has kept poultry for over 20 years, and she also has a degree in Pharmacy from Purdue University, as well as a degree in Agriculture, animal science, genetics and nutrition to back up her statements.

About mushrooms she says: "Chickens like mushrooms and readily eat the fungi growing on compost or mulch. I've yet to hear about a chicken dying from eating a poisonous mushroom; ... Mushrooms are high in protein - up to 30%. They are also high in sulfur, which is necessary for many metabolic reactions. Fungi can have an anti-bacterial properties and immune-enhancing enzymes." She goes on to tell how you can give them to your chickens.

Chickens have been around for thousands of years, so I imagine if mushrooms would kill them, they would be extinct by now.

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ahh... Electric Kool- aide, I remember those days... Sort of!

10. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    In this humid summer, my chicken pen feels like a basement - in a swamp! It's covered in moss, green algae, and mushrooms. They're sprouting everyplace. But the chickens are just fine (even though they're glistening purple with Blue-Kote, running among the moss and mushrooms like a fever dream...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by